Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How much PBW do you use to soak a 5 gallon Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I usually use a tsp per gallon. Seems to work fine. Once in a while I have to do a second soak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
NMG318
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've always used 1 tsp per gallon as well and it has always worked great.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
apraetor
Recipes 

Default not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchoven View Post
I keep a 5-gallon bucket of solution on hand; 3.75 oz (weight) PBW per 5 gallons. I soak my carboys half to 3/4 full and swish it around every now and again.
Keeping solution around for more than a few hours at most isn't a good idea. PBW is comprised of sodium metasilicate and sodium percarbonate (oxiclean). Metasilicate will etch glass, but retains its cleaning power for a long time in solution (so it'll be fine in a plastic bucket). The percarbonate is another matter; once dissolved in water it will generate hydrogen peroxide, which will continue to decompose. The cleaning performance will be dramatically reduced after a few hours, as the peroxides help to oxidize and break up organic residue.

As for the concentration to use, the directions say 1 to 2 fluid ounces per gallon; 2 tablespoons (tbsp, not tsp) make 1 ounce -- so it calls for 2-4 tablespoons per gallon.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
madtown01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apraetor View Post
As for the concentration to use, the directions say 1 to 2 fluid ounces per gallon; 2 tablespoons (tbsp, not tsp) make 1 ounce -- so it calls for 2-4 tablespoons per gallon.
Actually the directions are 1 ounce by weight, not 1 fluid ounce.

I found this e-mail response from Five Star on another forum.

"You are correct! All our powders have recommendations by weight, whereas our liquids are by volume. We find that one gently rounded teaspoon of PBW is about 1 oz by weight. If you have a small postal scale in your home office, as many do, you can verify a convenient measuring device in your home. There are 3 US Teaspoons per 1 US Tablespoon. Thus, about one-third of a tablespoon is about one ounce.

Also keep in mind that in our Five Star Homebrewer Cleaning and Sanitizing kits we pack about 2.25 oz per packet and instruct that to be added to 5 gallons of warm water. That is as low a concentration as 0.4 oz per gallon and is quite effective. In other words, for the home brewer, a little less is better than a little more to control your costs with PBW while still getting 'er done.

Cheers!

Jim Jennings
Five Star Chemicals
Commerce City, CO"

Old 06-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
j1n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 96

i usually rinse out my plastic carboy then fill it with hot water and PBW. About 1 tbsp per 5 gallons. let it soak over night and then rinse it out. do the same for kegs. works very well this way.

On Tap - Amber Ale
Kicked - Leftovers Pale Ale, Centennial Blonde Ale

Quick Reply