Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How much oxy clean to use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Default How much oxy clean to use

Just switched to oxy clean free from pbw, just SO much cheaper. For cleaning kegs, buckets, better bottles, how much should I use per gallon? I've been just dumping about a tbsp in a better bottle, adding about a half gallon of hot water, shaking for a couple mins, then triple rinsing with about a quart of hot water (each rinse).

I've heard of soaking overnight for tough gunk, but I think you'd have to fill the vessel with water (that's a lot). How much oxy per gallon?

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

When I soak overnight, I fill the OxyClean scoop to 2 for a filled 6 gallon BB soak. Works like a charm.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Moose1231
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use 1 tea spoon for 4L, so maybe 1TSP for 1g, I'd say.

I honestly just let it soak for 5min and I never got any problem

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
michael_mus
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Apprarently I use way too much. 1 full scoop per 6 gallon bucket. I always thought the numbers on the scoop represented gallons.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Dang and I am using way way to much. Only time I use it is soaking labels off and I go a scoop per gallon....Labels fall right off though and real fast

Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Good to know on labels I've used ammonia and a little liquid soap which works great but I never have ammonia around.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I use 4 tablespoons per 6 gallon carboy, mix with 1 gallon of hot water and shake, then fill the rest of the way with warm water and soak 24-48 hours and EVERYTHING comes off! Not a single spot left when I do this!

Soaking is key! You can't get the crap off a carboy without either soaking or scrubbing with a brush...just sloshing around won't do it!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
baer19d
Recipes 

It lloks like I'm using too much also but what the heck, it's cheap and it works. I'll start using 1 TSP per gallon and see how that works.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have been getting some beer stone built up in my plastic fermenting bucket and when I racked it off today I filled it with 6 gallons of hot water and 4 scoops of oxyclean. I just checked it and it is dissolving and should be clear by morning.

Man the build up of beerstone was pretty thick as well. I had figured if this did not work I would toss the bucket and start with a new one. Kind of glad it is working

Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I have been doing a two-step.

It’s at the rate of two tsp per gallon generic oxi, wait ten minutes, then add 1/4 tsp of PBW.

Better than oxi, cheaper than PBW.

Quick Reply