Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How much mash can a mash tun mash? Need Help for Tomorrow's Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
ryan_pants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much mash can a mash tun mash? Need Help for Tomorrow's Brew!

Ok so I'm just about to take on my first AG brew tomorrow. The yeast is percolating hapily in its starter and I'm reviewing the recipe to make sure I have everything I need to get started and now I'm nervous.

I'm doing the BYO Aventinus Weizenbock (http://byo.com/recipe/714.html) and I need to mash 13.5 pounds of grain in 4.25 gallons of water... Will this all fit in my 5 gallon (cylinder cooler) tun? I'm having a hard time getting my brain around how the volume of the grain will work with that much water... Can I mash with less water than that? Would I need to? Can I reduce the amount of grain and mash water proportionally to better fit the cooler?

I know the easy answer is get a bigger tun, and for the next batch I definitely will, but I don't have the resources for this one... Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There's several threads on this. Looks like people do 15 lbs at 1 quart per pound in a five gallon cooler. Seems like a real squeeze though and with all that wheat, tarball time. Maybe reduce everything 20% and do a 4 gallon batch?

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 02-10-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Check this out, you can determine if you have enough mash tun volume

Sean

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhagerty
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Check this out, you can determine if you have enough mash tun volume

Sean
Nice link was going to bookmark it but i can't see what ratio of water to grain they are using, prob just missed it cos i had a few home brews. If anyone more sober than me spots it or knows the answer please post it. Cheers .

Quick Reply