Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How many of you use a fermentation fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
J.B.W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was in the same delima last year. I picked up an old freezer last year to use for fermenting beer. I had to make a new top from Styrofoam to give me enough internal height for an airlock.

The setup worked really well last summer with garage temps in the mid 90's. My beer stayed at a nice 65F while fermenting. Moisture can bee an issue, but mopping up the condensation from the walls regularly helps a lot. I let it sit for a few days with the lid off after bottling day so that it has a chance to dry out and I clean the inside with bleach and water on brew day. This usually keeps anything nasty from growing.

I use a mechanical controller to keep the temp in range, and a small fan to circulate the air inside the freezer. A small 5 dollar digital outdoor thermometer is used to check on the Temp.

I should be able make a nice Lager with this setup, but I have yet to try it.

Drinking: ESB #4
Drinking: Dunkelweizen #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #22
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After you guys bottle, do you leave the bottles in your fridge/freezer at fermentation temps for the 3 week duration to carbonate?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #23
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
What about using some Damp-Rid? I had a huge moisture problem in the old dorm fridge I use as a lagerator, but I put in a container of that and it's bone-dry.
I've meant to do that for some time. By the way, DampRid is just calcium chloride. You should be able to pick up the same pellets for much cheaper at any pool supply store. You don't get the handy-dandy container, but I don't know how much I care about the handy-dandy container.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply