New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How many BTU for a full boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default How many BTU for a full boil?

I have a side burner on my outside gas grill that's rated at 17,000 BTU. This 1/3 or less of the ratings of most of the propane burners I've seen.

Is is possible/practical to do a full boil with a burner like this, given outside temps in the 50's?

I may just pick up a turkey fryer after Thanksgiving, but maybe not if the burner I have will work.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is it even practical to have over 60-70lbs of boiling wort resting on the edge of your grill (not including the weight of the kettle)? I doubt the grill burner will be able to get the job done anyway.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That burner sounds too small, it would probably take forever to get 5 gallons boiling. You would be much better off with a turkey fryer.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Dloucks
Recipes 

I have the same burner on the side of my grill. I used it for my first every batch.

I did a partial boil (3 gallons boiled) and it was a bit of a disaster. It took over and hour to get the water up to a very light bubble, never got the rolling boil that you want. Second I couldn't fit my pot all the way down onto the grate because of the width of my pot.

Lastly I used an obscene amount of gas because it took so long to boil. I figure if I had this much trouble with the 3 gallon batch I might never get a 5 to boil at all.

I borrowed a turkey fryer for my 2nd batch and was much happier with the speed and aggressiveness of the boil, but still would like something bigger as I brew my first full boil next week (nut brown from northern brewer). I suppose I'll get by with the turkey fryer burner but in the spring I'll probably splurge on a banjo or hurricane or something similar.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Turkey fryer FTW!!!

Not only because they are relatively cheap and you can use them for other things, like actually frying turkeys, but I would hate to hear "So my brew kettle fell off my grill and I was bathed in hot wort...."

My $.02

I think my t.f. is somewhere around 55k BTU's (Old King Kooker purchased years ago) and I got 6 gallons boiling in a decent time...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply