*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How many batches does your propane tank last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #21
bkl63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Last year it was 12.49 now it's 15.99 for a fill around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post
Blue Rhino tanks are only filled to 15lbs. They are a total rip off since they are much more expensive than a 20lb fill at your local place. (A 20lb fill should run you 12-13$)

Also, if you pour warm water down the side of your tank -- feel to see where the water goes from warm/cold. This is how much propane you have left in your tank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
winterc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was brewing two 10 gallon batches per tank, that's part of why I switched to electric. Brewing indoors is also a nice bonus. I had priced out propane and it was costing me $5.50/batch in heating. 5KW hours for a few hours is a lot less expensive.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #23
geckholm
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I'm buying propane at HD, but they are selling Amerigas by me, not Blue Rhino. Not sure about the cost, but I think I am only going to get 2 1/2 batches out of my last exchange, with 60 minute boils. But, living in the Chicago area and brewing outside in cold weather, maybe that's not unreasonable......

Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckholm View Post
I'm buying propane at HD, but they are selling Amerigas by me, not Blue Rhino. Not sure about the cost, but I think I am only going to get 2 1/2 batches out of my last exchange, with 60 minute boils. But, living in the Chicago area and brewing outside in cold weather, maybe that's not unreasonable......
I think Amerigas is a 15# fill also. You can check the signs on the cages it has to say how much they are selling you. edit... I just checked and they are 15#. That's why it is hard to compare number of batches. If you Blue Rhino or Amerigas you are starting with a tank that is 3/4 full.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My Costco does $10 fills. Might want to check them out if you have them in the area.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We have Costco, but they don't do fills. I actually fill it at BJ's in New Castle, DE. A month ago it was 15.99.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #27
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

This all sounds odd to me. Don't you guys just fill it at almost any gas station? And if not, do you go to home depot to fill up your car or truck if it runs on propane?

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #28
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I can find about 10 propane exchanges (blue rhino, etc.) for every propane filling station.

Almost all the gas stations around here do exchanges. Almost all the grocery & hardware stores have exchanges. Finding actual filling stations is so rare that every time I find another one I mark it on my GPS.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #29
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I used to use blue rhino and paid 20 bucks for a "full" tank that would last me 1 to 2 brew days. I now get my tank refilled for 12 bucks and it lasts at least 3 brew days. I have to say, I feel like the blue rhino is a rip off. There were times when I'd swap out my tank and it barely felt heavier than the tank I was trading in. Definitely worth it to take it somewhere that fills them with you standing there.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
geckholm
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Did a little searching, at some locations U-haul does refills, not exchanges. They do not charge the same $/ at all the locations so probably a good idea to search it out. The ACE HW by me charges a flat 19.99 per refill, no exchange, not based on volume. That seems a bit steep.....

Quick Reply