Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How many batches does your propane tank last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
Packman715
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am on batch 4 of this tank and by feel have one small beer left. and I all grain brew. before this last kolsch I did three high gravity beers.

so in all 5 batch per 20 lb tank.

It is better to be a smart arse than a dumb arse!
Keg 1: amber ale
Keg 2: Empty :(
Primary Carboy:soon to be an alt beir
Secondary Carboy: Nutella stout
Mead carboys 9gal total: Acerglyn still fermenting since end of April.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have two tanks, one for my fryer and one for my grill. I get paranoid and fill both before brewday. Most of my paranoia is that it's a 15-20 minute drive to get them refilled. I don't want to add that time to a brewday if I run short.

I have gotten two beers on one tank, but it seemed like three would have been pushing it.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I can usually get 3 90 minute boil batches out of a tank. 4-5 60 minute batches.

I usually keep two tanks just in case. Works great except when the gasket on one has dry rotted and won't seal. I need to call the propane company and see what to do about that...hope I don't have to eat it.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can get 3 most times. One thing you have to watch is homeless depot does not give you full tanks, they only have 15 lbs of gas.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

To many variables like others have said here. For instance I mash inside the house and use the stove top to heat up my water. The only propane I use is during the boil and I get many, many batches out of a tank.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
NathPowe
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've started weighing them to keep track of what I burn on a typical brew day. I just use a regular bathroom scale. If you look on the top of the tank/handle thing, it gives you the weight of the tank empty. My blue rhino is 16.6lbs. I just keep track and when I get within a couple lbs of that, I go fill 'er up. It's working so far.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaddad View Post
You should have two tanks. That way you can run it dry and then switch. Only way to be sure.
^^This

To answer the OP, I get 5-6 batches out of a tank. But I ALWAYS have a full spare waiting in the wings.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
geckholm
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frige View Post
I can get 3 most times. One thing you have to watch is homeless depot does not give you full tanks, they only have 15 lbs of gas.
Are you sure about this? Are they selling 20lbs but filling 15lbs?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've made a change that increases the number of batches to nearly double of what it was before. 5 years ago I switched from an electric/Oil home to Natural Gas. One item I put in was a tankless Natural gas water heater. Last fall I installed a monitor unit for it that allows me to pull unlimited hot water up to 177°F. Now I do my entire Mash and Sparge right from the tankless water heater and don't use Propane until it's time to boil. Cutting probably in half of what I used before. A caveat to this change, the heater is a 199,000 BTU unit and most tank water heaters are 40,000 to 50,000. So I larger Natural gas supply line are needed to be able to get the right amount of gas to the heater. I planned for this when I made the switch and have a 1.25 inch line from the meter to a manifold where I have (4) 3/4" lines that run to my heater (only needs .5") a .75" line to my tankless water heater and a .3/4" line that feed my dryer and stove. Most tank water heaters only have a 1/2" gas line to them and that can't supply the amount of gas a tankless will need. My gas bill with the tankless water heater in the summer is only 15/month of which 9.00 is the price to send the bill with zero gas being used, my parents have a tank water heater with all gas as well and their bill is 30.00. I'n in Southern NJ and my entire natural gas bill for the year is 700 to 800 for the year. My last oil heat season was 1200.00 about 6 years ago, and my electric tank water heater was probably around 70/month back then too. I can also go from milling to Mash in just a few mins so I have also decreased the hours of the brew day by a an hour of two.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
celly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckholm View Post
Are you sure about this? Are they selling 20lbs but filling 15lbs?
Blue Rhino tanks are only filled to 15lbs. They are a total rip off since they are much more expensive than a 20lb fill at your local place. (A 20lb fill should run you 12-13$)

Also, if you pour warm water down the side of your tank -- feel to see where the water goes from warm/cold. This is how much propane you have left in your tank.

Quick Reply