The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How many amps does a typical chest freezer draw?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default How many amps does a typical chest freezer draw?

I'm interested in using the STC-1000 aquarium heater control with a GE 7.0 chest freezer as a primary fermenter. A small heating unit is probably not a problem but my concern on the cooling end is that the SCT-1000 is rated for 10 amps. Has anybody used this setup without issue?

Edit:

Nevermind: answered here.

Would a fuse on the power end still make sense however?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu
I'm interested in using the STC-1000 aquarium heater control with a GE 7.0 chest freezer as a primary fermenter. A small heating unit is probably not a problem but my concern on the cooling end is that the SCT-1000 is rated for 10 amps. Has anybody used this setup without issue?

Edit:

I'm not sure if this applies to all chest freezers or just the GE 7cf, but on the schematic it shows that the capillary thermostat switches a relay, so the controller rating only needs to be as high as the coil current (which should be very low) as long as you are replacing the original thermostat with your controller. I have this setup and it works great, I use a personal fan heater for heat which is well under 10 amps. In the thread you linked to he probably measured current on the main power wire which would show the full startup current draw. If you really want to be sure measure the wire coming off of the thermostat. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post

Edit:

Get a GFCI adapter for your power socket, perhaps? Looks just like a wall-mounted surge protector that used to be popular back in the 90s.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

lhommedieu Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply