Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How long will something stay "Sanitized for use"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
JoePro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default How long will something stay "Sanitized for use"?

I use Star-san in a spray bottle, and I'm afraid I'm over-dispensing. So, how long can my freshly sanitized instruments+equipment sit before I have to re-sanitize?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
lextasy23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think technically as long as the pH is below 3. But that's in wet form, like in a carboy. Dried up on the surface, it's hard to say. Probably as long as it takes dust to settle, and begin harboring bacteria.

To be safe, I'd just sanitize everything before you need it.

MYTAPDISPLAY.COM
See my Electronic Tap Display Project!
Next: Black Pepper ESB, Grapefruit Hefeweizen
Fermenting:"First Born" 123 Minute IIPA
Bottled/Kegged: "Summa Cum Lager" American Pilsner, "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, Maple-primed Oatmeal Breakfast Stout, "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
doodlebug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually clean everything really well and then sanitize right before use.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
medusa1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I pre-sanitize my bottles in Star San, making sure the contact time is sufficient. I dump and put foil over the necks and use them whenever I am ready. I personally would not hesitate doing this with my carboy either. I would assign a 3 month expiration for dust bunnies, however.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would be worried about leaving things sanitized for a long time. It is extremely easy to sanitize things so I would just right before use. I know bacteria isnt magic and it doesn't just appear in places, and a foil cover theoretically should protect it, but who knows. 5 gallons of beer is worth more than three minutes of my time to sanitize something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextasy23 View Post
I think technically as long as the pH is below 3. But that's in wet form, like in a carboy. Dried up on the surface, it's hard to say. Probably as long as it takes dust to settle, and begin harboring bacteria.

To be safe, I'd just sanitize everything before you need it.
ph lower than 3.5

Old 06-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I listened to a Basic Brewing Radio podcast with someone from 5star chemicals, Charlie something I think. Anyways, he as asked this same question, and he said to sanitize immediately before use. Clean well before storage, but don't bother sanitizing until right before use.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

when i store my carboys i put half a cup of starsan in them, cap em, shake it up, and store them. a sealed container would remain sanitised inside indefinately. if you are talking about something that isnt sealed, i would sanitize it again right before use.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
when i store my carboys i put half a cup of starsan in them, cap em, shake it up, and store them. a sealed container would remain sanitised inside indefinately. if you are talking about something that isnt sealed, i would sanitize it again right before use.
Depending on how long you're storing the carboy, this isn't necessarily the best idea.

Starsan doesn't kill 100% of bacteria or other creepy-crawlies. It kills like 99.9% of them, and makes for a very hostile environment for new ones to pop into.

But, bacteria being bacteria, that .1% that survive will multiply. Sure, maybe 99.9% of the offspring don't survive - but bacteria multiply fast. Before long, even if 99.9% of each generation is dying off, you're still running the risk of a bacteria colony growing large enough to introduce risk to whatver you ferment in there.

Best bet is always to sanitize just before use - kill off as much of the bad stuff as you can so only the good stuff (your yeast) get a chance to really take off.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im not sure that i see how killing 99.9% now or 99.9% later are any different...

the starsan (as long as you mix it with RO or distilled water) will not loose its disinfectant power just sitting there in a clean sealed glass container, so anything that grows in the carboy after one application of starsan still wouldnt be killed after another application of the same exact stuff.

if you are suggesting that a properly mixed starsan soloution will support the growth of bacteria, i am going to challenge you to back that up with evidence.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If whatever the starsan was in was completely filled with solution then your skepticism makes sense. But if parts of the conical, bottle or whatever was dry then something could certainly grow inside. I always put some starsan in right after cleaning, then before use I will dump that and respray just before use.

Quick Reply