The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > how long can starsan be used?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Naptown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long can starsan be used?

I don't have my bottle, I'm sure it talks about how long a diluted mix will last. Specifically, I sanitized one carboy and transferred the sanitizer to another carboy. I have it just sitting in there. Good, Bad, or Indifferent? I'm sure it probably "dies" at some point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I was just rereading Palmer's treatment of sanitizers last night in "How to Brew". He wrote that Starsan will hold its effectiveness for days unsealed and indefinitely if in a sealed container. He said that you will know Starsan has lost its potency when it goes cloudy.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

This has been beaten around quite a bit over the years. Palmer was wrong if he said that it's effectiveness was tied to the solution becoming cloudy or not. I had a discussion with the president of 5 Star who told me that if the solution is kept free of organic material (meaning that you thoroughly cleaned the items before sanitizing them), that the only factor that would determine it's effectiveness was that the pH of the solution was below 3. The cloudiness can be caused immediately if used with hard water, but that it's still effective.

Most people, me included, keep a bucket of the solution for weeks, if not months. I've even "sweetened" it back up by adding some more concentrate to the solution I already had to drive the pH back down below 3. Been using Star San this way since I began brewing almost 7 years ago. No infected batches to date.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I keep mine in a glass carboy for months, I used distilled water, I have yet to have any issues.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Naptown
Recipes 

thanks guys, looks like I'm GTG.

Quick Reply