New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How important is a pump to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I use a pump to recric while my Immersion chiller is operating...it cools faster.

I also use the same pump to whirlpool my cooled wort for about 10 min, then let it settle for 30 min, then drain/rack into the fermentor...works great!!

My rig uses 2 pumps, a March and a Chugger.

I also have a 3rd transfer pump (self-priming) that I use for all my transfers/racking (beer and wine)...no siphoning for me. These can only handle temps to 120F

I would never give up my pumps!!
What self priming pump do you use for transferring? I love this idea, but I've never been able to find one that's self priming.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 72 batches and counting (as of 3/23/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
Thanks everyone.

I didn't even think of using the pump to recirculate while mashing (I do BIAB). Do you need a sparge arm for this or do you guys just run the hose onto the top of the grain bed?
You could just a lay a piece of silicon tubing on top the grain bed, just make sure you have some way of securing it so it doesn't accidentally slip out and spray hot wort everywhere. I ordered a custom stainless steel recirc arm from Wayne at Bargain Fittings (I shamelessly stole the idea from another thread). This allows me to easily (although not always painlessly ) move the output of the pump around, and remove the fitting when I need to pull the bag out.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Christmas Ale, Cranberry Cider, Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead
Secondary: Peach Wine
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...
241 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With the IC I would pull hot wort from ball valve and return up to the top with 1/2" ID silicon hose. Place hose st edge of kettle such that it would create a whirlpool. I also started to stir with spoon inside of the IC to try and help. It was faster than not having the pump, but not what I was expecting at all. The dudadiesel plate chiller is a godsend.

As far as recirculating and BIAB, again pull from ball valve and return into camlock fitted into lid. (I don't believe in hot side aeration, and least that it doesn't affect our level of brewing).

At some point I would like to get a loc-line circle flow kit:

Picture from post here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/loc-line-brewing-uses-175972/index2.html

Chris

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Thanks! That looks ideal.

As far as decreased cooling times goes/taste improvements I'm still on the fence whether a pump is a worthy investment - $200 or so with fittings and tubing.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could always do the no chill BIAB like the Aussie's. Can't get much easier and faster than that.

Thankfully I have never had an infected beer (some have been undrinkable, but not due to a wild yeast/bacteria infection), but that is the primary concern with not chilling fast enough. I'm sure there are other reasons like hop aroma's etc...

I didn't spend that much on my chugger pump, fittings and tubing. But I also went with aluminum fittings and got a great deal on ebay for the silicon hose.

Up until recently I controlled the flow out of the pump with a spring clamp not a ball valve. Very ghetto but constantly tweaking and upgrading. which is half the fun.

Chris

Quick Reply