Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How important is a pump to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default How important is a pump to you?

I'm looking into possible equipment upgrades and I'm interested in a pump to do the recirculating wort chilling that Jamil outlines here: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

I started researching how to cool my wort quicker (takes me about 30-40 minutes to chill 5 gal or so to pitching temps right now with my immersion chiller) and that seems to be the most effective way.

Other than the obvious of cooling quicker, will I notice quality/taste/clarity differences in my brew? My novice beer tasting palate already tells me my beer tastes great and I'm not really interested in accumulating extra gear just to have extra gear.

Any thoughts or experiences with before/after benefits for cooling/whirlpooling?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I use a pump to recric while my Immersion chiller is operating...it cools faster.

I also use the same pump to whirlpool my cooled wort for about 10 min, then let it settle for 30 min, then drain/rack into the fermentor...works great!!

My rig uses 2 pumps, a March and a Chugger.

I also have a 3rd transfer pump (self-priming) that I use for all my transfers/racking (beer and wine)...no siphoning for me. These can only handle temps to 120F

I would never give up my pumps!!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
241 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I do not use any pumps and designed a system to use gravity from HLT thru cooling. The flow through chiller works great and cools 5 3/4 gallons of wort in 10 minutes using 20 lbs of ice, eight, 64 ounce juice bottles of ice and 2 gallons of water. I batch sparge which works great for me. I get 78% to 82% efficiency regularly. My beer is great, excellent I am told by some others tell me it is better than the beer at the local brewpub (not my words). I am not sure the using pumps or recirculating would improve the flavor of the beer it could I don't know cause I never tried. Gravity works good me, it is simple and I understand it, pumps I do not understand they are to confusing at least to me.
If you look at my build thread you will see my flow through chiller, very simple and effective.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

241 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It's about to get real important as I am moving to a new brewing setup in which I'm going to recirculate the wort to maintain mash temp on an 2.5 gallon electrical BIAB system. Also moving away from gravity feeding my plate chiller so I'd say the pump is going to come in handy.

I hate Walder Frey...

241 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The pump was probably the best investment in my eBIAB. I use it to recirculate water while heating it up to strike temps, the wort during mash and during cooling. It makes a huge difference in hitting and holding temperature during mash, and makes chilling through my counterflow chiller so much easier.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...
241 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin View Post
The pump was probably the best investment in my eBIAB. I use it to recirculate water while heating it up to strike temps, the wort during mash and during cooling. It makes a huge difference in hitting and holding temperature during mash, and makes chilling through my counterflow chiller so much easier.
Do you recirculate the entire time you're heating? Or just towards the end to make sure you have consistency throughout? Have you taken notes on the difference? Just curious because it sounds like we are doing something similar and I hadn't thought I would run it while heating.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew

Do you recirculate the entire time you're heating? Or just towards the end to make sure you have consistency throughout? Have you taken notes on the difference? Just curious because it sounds like we are doing something similar and I hadn't thought I would run it while heating.
I run it continuously while heating to make sure my PID is reading an accurate temperature. I found it helps to alleviate under/over shooting by eliminating striation. I typically do other things while my strike water is heating so I set my pid and come back when the buzzer sounds. Same for the mash, the pump keeps the pid reading true and prevents overshooting.

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very important. I was using a IC, took forever to cool wort. Bought a pump to whirlpool chill, still took an eternity to cool wort.

Bought a plate chiller, no that's the ticket. less than 10 minutes to chill down to ale pitching temps, this time of year lager temps probably would be possible.

Plus with BIAB I recalculate durring the entire mash.

Time is very important to me, as I have so little. So anything that can safely speed up the brew day is appreciated.

Chris

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 83

My pump is very important to my setup - I use a counter flow chiller. I tried using it without a pump once, and I just could not get a decent flow through it. With a pump, on the other hand, it's great. The pump also allows me to circulate boiling wort through the chiller for the last 15 minutes of my boil in order to sanitize the chiller, and I use the pump to circulate oxiclean and rinse water through my system at the end of the brew day to clean everything out.

Later this year I plan to add a RIMS tube to my mash tun, at which point I really won't be able to do without the pump!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Thanks everyone.

I didn't even think of using the pump to recirculate while mashing (I do BIAB). Do you need a sparge arm for this or do you guys just run the hose onto the top of the grain bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goybar View Post
Very important. I was using a IC, took forever to cool wort. Bought a pump to whirlpool chill, still took an eternity to cool wort.
Really, even after getting the pump to whirlpool chill it still took a long time? How did you have it set up?

I took temperature differences between inside of my immersion chiller and near the edge of my kettle while cooling and it was as much as 5 degrees F higher on the outer edge. I'd think if you're mixing it all together you'd be getting a much more consistent temp throughout the kettle.

Quick Reply