Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How hot should a compressor get?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
mesfet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How hot should a compressor get?

Reading these forums seems to reveal that the Sanyo 4912 is the most popular mini fridge to convert to a kegerator. Luckily I found a used 4910M on craigslist for $100. This was my first time using craigslist, and the picture of the fridge looked good. I was told the fridge was "clean" but I quickly found out that some people's definition of clean is very loose. The fridge did not smell, but everything was sticky, like a soda exploded in it or something. I was a little mad at myself because I still paid $100 for it but after I got home I found out it is actually a 4912 not a 4910, so I guess its a little newer than I thought. Also it cleaned up very well with hot water and a little bleach.

I had to lay it on its side to transport it, which made me a little worried about oil seeping into the coils. After letting it sit over night I let it run, and it works well. I can get it to about 35 deg F on setting 5, and I think it might get to freezing if I turn it up a little more. However when I put my hand on the compressor after a few minutes of being on it feels very hot. I cant keep my hand on it for more than about 5 seconds. If anyone else has this fridge, is this normal? Does your compressor get this hot? I pointed a fan at the compressor and this does keep it cool even when running.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

If you can touch the compressor without getting burned, it is running cool.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
mesfet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't burn me, its just uncomfortably hot. I was just worried that the compressor could be damaged when I drove it 30 miles over crappy Massachusetts roads while it was on its side.

It cools great though, time to convert it to a kegerator!

Quick Reply