Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > how does this all grain setup sound?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
andrew300
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how does this all grain setup sound?

i want to eventually get a nice blichmann all grain setup and was wondering what you think of this. 3 10 gallon pots (mlt with false bottom and boil pot with hop screen), blichmann floor burner along with the blichmann wort chiller. i will make a stand for all of this and feed it all with gravity. does anyone have a setup like this or recommend anything else? i know it is expensive, but i would rather get nice equipment when i am ready than using coolers for now. let me know what you think. thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
mplutodh1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

As wilserbrewer has pointed out - you'll need a way to maintain temperatures in your HLT. The main reason folks go with coolers is they keep the heat in longer, if you don't you usually need to add a burner for the HLT as well or setup some type of recirculation.

I know you mentioned wanting nice equipment - and sure the Blichmann stuff does look nice; I don't personally own any Blichmann other than a few brewmometers. However; I'd question there being much difference in their burner vs. something like a Banjo - the Blichmann "burner" itself appears to be almost the exact same (if not in fact the same) cast burner - the only real difference is the stand from what I can tell. Personally I'd take the $ you save between those two and put it towards something like stainless fittings instead of Brass.

Just my $.02

Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's fine if you only want to do 5 gallon batches.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Have you seen the top-tier system. It is pretty awesome.

I had a manual three-tier three burner system for years and was happy with it. Some degree of automation is REALLY nice but manual is a fine place to start.

Blichmann stuff is worth every penny.

Quick Reply