The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How do you lower the IC into the wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
shortyjacobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How do you lower the IC into the wort?

So I throw my IC into my wort 10 - 15 minutes before flameout to sanitize....

My problem is it kills my boil for a good couple of minutes, forcing me to spike my flame up to "high" and risk the dreaded scorching....

So, do you all just drop it in and not worry? Lower very slowly to allow the kettle to stay on boil? It's 50' of 3/8" ID, (1/2" OD) tube, so it's a decent amount of thermal mass...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i was wondering the same thing

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I flameout and then add IC. 212 degrees will insta pasteurize the IC. Actually 201 is the temp for Ultra High Temp (UHT) pasteurization and that process requires 1 second at temp.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I flameout and then add IC. 212 degrees will insta pasteurize the IC. Actually 201 is the temp for Ultra High Temp (UHT) pasteurization and that process requires 1 second at temp.
Not to nitpick, but I believe UHT requires a temperature of 275F. Either way, you are certainly achieving sufficient pasteurization.

In reality, sufficient pasteurization is achieved at temperatures as low as 162F for ~15 seconds. So, there is no need to boil the IC, just drop it in after flameout like dontman said.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 09-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 to flameout chiller addition I also give mine a 5 minute pre-soak in Star-San. Cleans up any surface oxidation on the copper before it goes in my wort.

-Joe

Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My IC is in the pot as I add the wort. I boil the wort with the IC in the entire time. Never noticed a problem, but I am relatively new to AG. If this is something that should be avoided, please ..... Let me know.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I put mine it with 10 minutes or so left in the boil. It doesn't kill my boil, though. Is yours full of water when you put it in? Mine is completely empty, because the first time I stuck it in I didn't blow out the water, and I didn't have it connected to the hoses-and it shot boiling water out of the ends, scalding me. Now, I empty it fully (blowing out the water) and put it in and then a few minutes later I connect the hoses.

As the others said, though, as long as it sanitized you're ok. It doesn't matter how long it's in there. Long enough to sanitize is fine!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I spray mine with starsan just before putting it in at flame out. I could probably skip the starsan but the spray bottle is sitting there anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I put mine it with 10 minutes or so left in the boil. It doesn't kill my boil, though. Is yours full of water when you put it in? Mine is completely empty, because the first time I stuck it in I didn't blow out the water, and I didn't have it connected to the hoses-and it shot boiling water out of the ends, scalding me. Now, I empty it fully (blowing out the water) and put it in and then a few minutes later I connect the hoses.

As the others said, though, as long as it sanitized you're ok. It doesn't matter how long it's in there. Long enough to sanitize is fine!
Mine is definitely empty....but like I said it's a big one, (pipe was cheap, so why not go for the 50' 1/2" model? I can cool to 80 in 8-9 minutes ), and I'm just boiling in a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, (so no extra thermal mass from a heavier duty SS pot or keggle)....

I even tried slowly lowering it in this last time, but I got about 2 coils in and the boil started to flag....so I said screw it and just dropped it in and cranked up the flame.

I have a good solid rolling boil going before I do this too....

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I just add it 15-20 minutes in, it doesn't take all that long for the boil to return...It doesn't really affect your beer if it drops a few degrees for a few minutes during the course of a 60 or 90 minute boil....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply