Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How do you clean your siphon tubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I do a PBW or oxy soak for my blowoff tubes, but that's it. The autosiphon and tubing just gets a lot of warm water flushed through it, then I make sure I hang it up so it can dry completely. Run starsan through it right before I use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
I'm with the first reply. Wrinse with hot water as soon as I've finished using them. Sanitize just prior to using them again... replace once or twice a year.
This is what I do. After rinsing I swing the tubing around in circles to get some of the water out, then hang up to dry.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
boondocksaint
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPA0303 View Post
The cloudiness is from the hot water and prolonged PBW soaks. The plastic siphon pieces get micro fractures from hot water and extended cleaner soaks. Eventually they will form legit cracks and cause leaks. I flush mine with homemade PBW in slightly warm tap water for no longer than 30 min and it still looks crystal clear after 2 years.
Would a Star-San soak cause the same micro fractures? So far, I've only flushed with warm-hot water and submerged in my bucket o'star-san before and after use...(which could easily have been up to or even over 30 min while I'm doing other things).

Either way, thanks for the intell. And, I agree with ya 'day tripper'...tubing is a lot cheaper than losing a brew! Replacing every year or so is a good idea.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #14
TIPA0303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post

Would a Star-San soak cause the same micro fractures? So far, I've only flushed with warm-hot water and submerged in my bucket o'star-san before and after use...(which could easily have been up to or even over 30 min while I'm doing other things).

Either way, thanks for the intell. And, I agree with ya 'day tripper'...tubing is a lot cheaper than losing a brew! Replacing every year or so is a good idea.
Not positive on the Star-San. It is phosphoric acid... I'd just try to limit any soak on plastics to ~30 min. Glass is fine with prolonged soaks with either PBW or Star-San.

Also, as a side note, Star-San keeps it's potency for about a month. You can conserve sanitizer by keeping it in an extra carboy and reuse it several times.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Klutz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
Cool. I guess I wanted to make sure the cloudiness of the tubing wasn't some latent sludge that's gonna come back to haunt my brews!

Klutz, I was thinking about some kind of brush for cleaning but my siphon tubing is about 3ft long.

Cheers
Here is a link to a brush like I use, if you stick it in each and of the hose you can double its cleaning reach. I use it in my racking canes and bottling wands too.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/liqu...FWJo7Aod-3IAIA

Like the other said I run hot want through it right after using the tubing. I soak the hose in Starsan, but if you leave it in too long the outside of the hose starts to break down and get slimy.

Hose is cheap replace it when you need to.

Quick Reply