Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How do I save money on filtered water?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default How do I save money on filtered water?!

Hey guys,
So I have been brewing for about 2 months now and after 5 batches of extract I have switched to AG. One of the best things I like about AG is the price! I'm making a American Amber Ale tonight and everything cost me $18 for a 6 gallon batch! That is until I need to get the water. I live in Tampa and our tap water isn't to hard but I can taste the chemicals and chlorine in it, so I refuse to use this in my beer. I was curious to know what routes people have gone to save money on water, as opposed to spending $2 for 2.5 gallons every time and needing 8.5 gallons (at least) per batch. That's an extra $6-7 a batch x 4-5 batches a month x 12 months a yr! Rather spend that $300 on something else (like a shotgun!). I am renting right now, but plan to stay in the area for atleast 2-3 more years so I am open to a easy, permanent fixture. So let the idea's flow guys. Thanks.

PS - I have a large Brita Crafe, would this be fine for small extra ammounts of water? Maybe 2 gallons? Seem like a lot to fill up 8-9 gallons with this thing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can go really cheap and just use campdon tablets or spend a little and get a carbon filter.

A carbon filter with housing from Mcmaster is about $30

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wa...evices/=gksvqa

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Do I install this under the sink? Would this eliminate the chlorine and any other chemicals/bacteria that would produce off flavors? I ask about bacteria just incase I need to top off the wort if it comes out to low.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My tap water here in PA also has chloramine added and give a bit of a medicinal flavor to the water; I just crush up a campden tablet and about half of it to my brew water and it has worked great...no off flavors from the water in my beer. The bottle of campden tablets will last me years and cost under $5.

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Dankenstein Amber, Business Time IPA
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Rapt0rBrown
Recipes 

I may be in a small minority, but i found a natural spring near my home and since changing my beer has great.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 79

i use a house filter, in line from my hose to my HLT/MLT for filling. Works pretty good. Pieced it together at Lowes. After two brews, it paid for itself in what I was paying at the grocery store for "spring water".

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I live in NW Florida on the coast and our water here is really high in salt due to leaching from the Gulf.... living on the water is great... this is just one downside.

My Walmart has a Culligan machine and I bought some 3 and 5 gallon bottles that I take in when I grocery shop and fill em up at the Culligan machine. They charge .27 cents per gallon.

Don't waste money buying the gallon jugs of water they charge $1 for.... spend the money upfront on some of the refillable 5 gallon bottles and fill them up at the water machine. Your local Walmart should have this machine.

Or you could get a RO machine to remove salts from the water.... but the cheaper ones are slow and waste a lot of water. I have one but I stopped using it after I flooded a bathroom twice by forgetting about the jug filling up

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My fiance's dad has a condo on Navarre Beach that we use a few times a year, I LOVE the Emerald Coast!

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Dankenstein Amber, Business Time IPA
Bottled: Country Cider, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Rye IPA, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapt0rBrown View Post
I may be in a small minority, but i found a natural spring near my home and since changing my beer has great.
THIS!

There are so many natural springs around you just need to find them...get a local hiking guide or talk to your environmental services...there was a great spring in my town I never knew about for almost 20 years. Its right along a side road and easy to load containers into my car, completely safe! The name brand bottled spring water companies are doing the same thing, they just show you fancy commercials of isolated and heavenly looking sites, but its the same thing. I've been to a few of the towns and places in Maine that Poland Springs gets it water and believe me, if you saw the sites, it would change your mind on how pure and isolated these springs are. I'm not saying that bottled water isn't worth it, but its a fantastic study of marketing.

You could also put your water in the bottom of shopping cart when you food shop and "forget" to pay for it...but we would never do that now...would we

Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You could use one of these undersink filter setups... I actually have one under my kitchen sink and it does a great job of filtering my drinking, brewing, cooking water. You could try the filter setup from the DIY BYO issue, but I suspect that you need to filter out more than a single, small, filter can handle.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply