Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How can I convert this Chest Freezer into a Temp. Controlled Fermentation Chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
EyePeeA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How can I convert this Chest Freezer into a Temp. Controlled Fermentation Chamber?

Does it require some intricate work, or is it rather easy to do? I think the settings now only allow temps. below 42F.

GE 7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White

WAS $229
NOW $158

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ct_description

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Takes a little wiring with a temp controller, but thats it. The temp controller is wired so the freezer plugs into the controller, and the controller plugs in to the wall. Temp sensor for controller is put inside freezer, preferably the fermentor for better accuracy.
Controller in your freezer isnt used, unless you want temps colder than the freezer can do.

Popular STC1000 is about 20 bucks from various sources.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/temp...newbie-369532/

Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I have that freezer and it works great. Buy a Ranco digital temp controler. Put your carboy or whatever you use in it. Tape the controler probe to the side of your carboy. set the controler to the ferm temp for the type of yeast your using. Thats it. the freezer also works great as a frige to store your leftover thanksgiving donner

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyePeeA View Post
Does it require some intricate work, or is it rather easy to do?
Not too hard, just need to install a temperature controller of your choice. Here's a thread on that freezer, to give you ideas for temperature control:

GE 7 CF Keezer

Chris

Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
_TheTrevster_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The "plug-and-play" options available from Johnson Controls and Ranco range from $50-$100 depending on the source. I second meadmazer's suggestion of the STC1000. I purchased a similar model directly from China except mine reads in Fahrenheit (Total price after shipping was $14.66). Both require a bit of wiring, but are worth the savings.

I replaced the existing temperature controller in the front of my unit with my new temperature controller like this:

(The numbers correspond to the numbers on terminals of the new controller)

Not intricate, very easy to do, which was your goal.

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
TNugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TheTrevster_ View Post
The "plug-and-play" options available from Johnson Controls and Ranco range from $50-$100 depending on the source. I second meadmazer's suggestion of the STC1000. I purchased a similar model directly from China except mine reads in Fahrenheit (Total price after shipping was $14.66). Both require a bit of wiring, but are worth the savings.

I replaced the existing temperature controller in the front of my unit with my new temperature controller like this:

(The numbers correspond to the numbers on terminals of the new controller)

Not intricate, very easy to do, which was your goal.

Good Luck!
On the STC-1000 the terminals are numbered as such....

1/2 - Power Supply 110VAC
3/4 - Sensor
5/6 - Heating
7/8 - Cooling

I would love to put my STC-1000 in place of the stock controller. Are the numbers on your controller different, maybe your 3/4 is the STC-1000's 7/8? Did you use the factory temp probe or the one that came with your controller?

Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
_TheTrevster_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNugent View Post
I would love to put my STC-1000 in place of the stock controller. Are the numbers on your controller different, maybe your 3/4 is the STC-1000's 7/8? Did you use the factory temp probe or the one that came with your controller?
The terminals are labeled differently on my unit. Using the numbers in my picture as a reference, 3&4 would connect to your power supply terminals, 1&2 would connect to your cooling terminals.

I did replace the freezers stock sensor with the new one that came with the controller. I chose to insert it into the existing probe housing.

Last edited by _TheTrevster_; 11-09-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Quoting for context

Quick Reply