Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How to brew a 1/2bbl at a time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
imperialipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How to brew a 1/2bbl at a time?

This question centers more around fermentors. I would imagine you need a 20 gallon mash tun / boil kettle to make enought beer to fill a keg.

15.5 gallons is the standard volume to fill it up.

The question then becomes what do you ferment in? I have seen kegs converted to fermentors but including head space would you not need more like a 20 gallon fermentor?

What are most people using to ferment and be able to fill up a full keg when they are done?

Right now I am brewing 5.5 gallon batches fermented in 6.5 gallon carboys. Gives me 5 gallons to completly filla corney keg.

But I am not seeing alot of inexpensive stainless options for filling a 1/2bbl from the fermentor

Brewmaster
Strong Arm Brewing
www.strongarmbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Better option might be to brew 10-12 gal and ferment in a sanke keg. Unless you want to step up o a larger fermenter.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just started fermenting 1/2 keg batches in a 20 gallon stainless kettle. Be forewarned, with a batch this big you will likely need to control the temp of fermentation. I keep mine in a plastic tub and toss in a little ice a few times a day to keep it in check.

People have used rubbermaid trash cans...search a bit...certain ones are food grade AFAIK. Another option is an HDPE 30 gal barrel.

Quick Reply