New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > How to brew a 1/2bbl at a time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
imperialipa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How to brew a 1/2bbl at a time?

This question centers more around fermentors. I would imagine you need a 20 gallon mash tun / boil kettle to make enought beer to fill a keg.

15.5 gallons is the standard volume to fill it up.

The question then becomes what do you ferment in? I have seen kegs converted to fermentors but including head space would you not need more like a 20 gallon fermentor?

What are most people using to ferment and be able to fill up a full keg when they are done?

Right now I am brewing 5.5 gallon batches fermented in 6.5 gallon carboys. Gives me 5 gallons to completly filla corney keg.

But I am not seeing alot of inexpensive stainless options for filling a 1/2bbl from the fermentor

Brewmaster
Strong Arm Brewing
www.strongarmbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Better option might be to brew 10-12 gal and ferment in a sanke keg. Unless you want to step up o a larger fermenter.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 06-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just started fermenting 1/2 keg batches in a 20 gallon stainless kettle. Be forewarned, with a batch this big you will likely need to control the temp of fermentation. I keep mine in a plastic tub and toss in a little ice a few times a day to keep it in check.

People have used rubbermaid trash cans...search a bit...certain ones are food grade AFAIK. Another option is an HDPE 30 gal barrel.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply