Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 AM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I was going to include all kinds of variables but then the table would have been quite large. I picked 1.25qt/lb because it's pretty common.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 AM   #22
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Also need to consider the dead space in the lid of the cooler.

Cooler manufacturers use that space for volume but we cant.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mash calculator on the Green Bay Rackers calcs page scroll down to "Can I Mash It?"

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Jkane101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks Bobby. One day i need to drop down to Piscataway to watch you in action. I'm itching to go AG

Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
mindslat
Recipes 

Default I thought I was better at math

Howdy! I'm trying to pick a cooler out for a new system I'm trying to build up. I'm looking to make 5 gallon batches at barley wine strength without sparging. I'm looking at about 54% efficiency, correct me if I'm wrong. How do I plug this in.

I hope someone's still watching this thread. great sticky!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's where I just grab my BTP software and mock it up. Assuming you mean a STRONG barleywine like 1.100, at 55% efficiency it would take about 25lbs of grain with 10 gallons of water (that's a 1.6qt/lb ratio) to drain off about 7.25g of wort. The total volume in the MLT would be 13.5gallons. A 52qt cooler would be borderline but doable.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Jsamp
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I need ten gallons of barleywine
Thats what I was thinking lol.

Nice chart though. I am going to start all grain soon so this chart is going to come in handy. Thanks bobby!!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 AM   #28
Drunken Monk
Recipes 

So I just finished building a five gallon mash tun from a round rubbermaid cooler (before reading this thread). I'm a noob at AG so bear with me. My question deals with sparging. If I'm maxed out at 12 lbs as the chart says, can I do a batch sparge or do I have to fly sparge? Does one's sparging method make any difference relating to the max grain/OG the tun can handle?
I ask because I plan on doing EdWort's Haus IPA this weekend and I need to know if I should build a sparge arm. I'm assuming batch sparging shouldn't be much different. I would just have to do more batch sparges to get to my target volume?
Thanks for the help.

A wise man once said: "Get it krunk!"

Old 10-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #29
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Monk View Post
Does one's sparging method make any difference relating to the max grain/OG the tun can handle?
Only if you sparge or not. Sparge technique doesn't matter. (Though I suppose, if you fly, you want room to have an inch of water above the grain.)

Old 10-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
Spannuta
Recipes 

sorry if this is my own stupidity, but i do not see the chart anywhere on the posts. I assume that it was an image in Bobby M's original post. Do I have to be a premium supporter to see images? I didn't think so. Maybe its the computer I am on. Any help? Maybe re-paste it in a new post or let me know if I can find the chart posted somewhere else. Thanks!

Quick Reply