The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #181
HappiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've read over much of the sticky and have learned a lot about volume but not much about shape. Is there an efficiency difference between a tall round tun like a Gatorade cooler vs a shallow square tun like a cooler? Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but finding clear info on it using search has been tough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #182
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermom View Post
I've read over much of the sticky and have learned a lot about volume but not much about shape. Is there an efficiency difference between a tall round tun like a Gatorade cooler vs a shallow square tun like a cooler? Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but finding clear info on it using search has been tough.
If you batch sparge, no. If you fly sparge, likely yes. Fly sparging the taller round cooler would probably give you better efficiency. But other factors would be much more important.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #183
HappiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks, didn't really know the difference. Found some good info on it here. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #184
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermom View Post
Thanks, didn't really know the difference. Found some good info on it here. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Gee, that website seems vaguely familiar.....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #185
HappiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

HA, I get it now. Well thanks for that. It's a good read. I currently have it bookmarked.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #186
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Not sure if this was touched on or not, to much to read...lol

Has anyone asked about a mash out step, If im using say 26lbs of grain for an 11 gallon batch, using lets say a 13.2 keggle...At 1.25qts per lb your at 8.75 intial strike volume for your mash in. Then an additional 4.5+ for your mash out. Total volume in that keg is 13.2, so this calculator is basicly good only if you do not do a mash out step, correct...unless im missing something. Cheers

Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #187
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 816 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by poislb View Post
Not sure if this was touched on or not, to much to read...lol

Has anyone asked about a mash out step, If im using say 26lbs of grain for an 11 gallon batch, using lets say a 13.2 keggle...At 1.25qts per lb your at 8.75 intial strike volume for your mash in. Then an additional 4.5+ for your mash out. Total volume in that keg is 13.2, so this calculator is basicly good only if you do not do a mash out step, correct...unless im missing something. Cheers
not that batch. don't forget the ≈2 gallons the grain would displace

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #188
Js137
Recipes 

So, I pulled the general formula out of the thread:

Mash Tun Size (gallons) = (OG*BatchSize/(21*Efficiency))/4
where OG is original gravity post boil and BatchSize is the batch size after the boil.

My question is (if I followed the thread correctly) that this is assuming a mash thickness of 1.25 qts/lb - where do I input this variable into formula as an input?

I am in the process of creating a spreadsheet to handle some things (percentage grain bill recipes based on brewhouse efficiency, efficiency before adding sugar or boiling, how much water to add if gravity is over and how long to boil at your implied evaporation rate before continuing the recipe if you are under) and wanted to include this. Once it is finalized I will post it.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #189
Vestal81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well all that being said . Ill be the odd one and state / ask . My brews max out at about 1.080 id like to be able to brew 5 and 10 gallon batches from 1.050 to 1.080 . I have about 25 all grain 5 gallons batches under my belt and would like to be able to do a ten gallon batch of some of my session brews. I have about 2 grand to build my Herms and would not like to leave my hlt mlt bk size to chance .. can someone point me in the right direction or just give me the right kettle size . Where I don't waste money

Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #190
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll shoot from the hip and say 20 gallon across the board.

I like symmetry.

Someone else can likely give you a better answer with sound reasoning.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply