Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #161
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by najel View Post
So when batch sparging, all the stuff you read about the grain bed being at least so many inches and no more than so many inches does not matter?
I'm asking because I have a 48 qt rectangular cooler that is very clean that I could use to build a lauter tun, but I am afraid that it will be too large since I am only planning on 5 gallon batches with OGs in the 40s to 50s.
You are correct...the traditional advice about grain bed depth does not relate to batch sparging. I've made 426 5 gal. batches in a 48 qt. cooler over the last 14+ years. If it didn't work I would have switched to something else a long time ago!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #162
Radegast
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Great chart! What's the max size for a no-sparge batch relative to these max batch sizes?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #163
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i've also noticed that fly sparging with only a 5 gallon batch is hard because of what little water is coming in from the top of my tun. I guess i'll have to just batch when i do 5s and fly when i do 10s

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #164
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Too small for 10 gallon batches?

I've been attempting to 10 gallon batches in a 10 gallon igloo cooler. For an IPA that I'm about to do, it calls for 28 lbs or grain. If I calculate my strike water at 1.25 qt per pound, I come up with 8.75 Gallons needed. That doesn’t leave much room in the tank for the grain. I did a brown ale recently and ran into the same thing. I just filled my cooler with strike water as much as I could. I felt the batch tasted a bit thin. I also batch sparge. So, filling up the mash tun doesn’t leave any room for the mashout either. Anyone run into this problem and have a solution? Looking at the chart, I may have to invest in a bigger mash tun.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #165
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use a 5 gallon cooler and since life begins at 60 (1.060 that is!) I never have room for a traditional mashout. Instead I drain roughly 1.75 gallons of wort from the cooler and bring it to a boil then return it to the cooler. This raises the temp of everything to 168-170 depending upon the day and recipe. It absolutely loosens the grain bed. After 10 minutes I start draining and batch sparging.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #166
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
I've been attempting to 10 gallon batches in a 10 gallon igloo cooler. For an IPA that I'm about to do, it calls for 28 lbs or grain. If I calculate my strike water at 1.25 qt per pound, I come up with 8.75 Gallons needed. That doesn’t leave much room in the tank for the grain. I did a brown ale recently and ran into the same thing. I just filled my cooler with strike water as much as I could. I felt the batch tasted a bit thin. I also batch sparge. So, filling up the mash tun doesn’t leave any room for the mashout either. Anyone run into this problem and have a solution? Looking at the chart, I may have to invest in a bigger mash tun.
Short of a bigger tun (highly recommended), you can just skip the mashout. No big deal.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #167
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i've never done a mashout, just sparge. I also strike with 1.75 qt/lb if that matters

Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #168
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 830 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 109

looking at the 36qt Coleman Extreme 5 and it lists interior dimensions at 19.75 in. x 7.75 in. x 10 in.

= 1,530.625 cubic inches
/231 ≈ 6.6 gallons ≈ 26.5 quarts

I majored in math, so arithmetic is not my strong suit, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but 26.5 quarts ≠ 36 quarts

where did the other 2½ gallons go?

which makes striking a perfectly reasonable 6.75 gallons in what SHOULD BE a 36 quart system a little difficult

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #169
Denny
Recipes 

Probably the volume under the lid, which you can't use. My 48 qt. cooler really holds about 9.5 gal., not 12.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #170
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 830 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I can get the 70 qt version for about the same price

12½ x 24½ x 10½ interior = 3215.625 in³ = 13.92 gal = 55.6 qt

that'll work just fine

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply