Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #111
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

I got that one at Costco. About $70 IIRC, but it was a while back so I could be wrong.
Do u think 76lbs of grain would fit?

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #112
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

if I'm unsure about tun size (i want to share 10 gallon batches with a buddy) can we both build a 5 gallon mash tun? I don't want to make a 10 gallon only to want to make 5 gallon batches later and not be able to get the gravity high enough

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #113
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
if I'm unsure about tun size (i want to share 10 gallon batches with a buddy) can we both build a 5 gallon mash tun? I don't want to make a 10 gallon only to want to make 5 gallon batches later and not be able to get the gravity high enough
Short answer is yes. However, I use a 10gal tun for 5 gal batches every time I brew & have no problems with gravity.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #114
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

how did you get around that since the beginning table said the highest gravity for a 10 gallon was lie 1.0118 or something.

To me, the size shouldn't matter because the water to grain ratio matters more. I was just doubting the table

Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #115
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
how did you get around that since the beginning table said the highest gravity for a 10 gallon was lie 1.0118 or something.

To me, the size shouldn't matter because the water to grain ratio matters more. I was just doubting the table
Did you read the info above and below the pic or did u just look at the pic! Bobby_M explains it in his first post

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #116
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
Do u think 76lbs of grain would fit?
Easily.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #117
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i did read it but it was confusing. if i get a 52 qt and divide by 5 for a max OG. I get 176.8. does that mean 1.176?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #118
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
i did read it but it was confusing. if i get a 52 qt and divide by 5 for a max OG. I get 176.8. does that mean 1.176?
All the chart shows is the amount of grain that can be fit into a certain size mash tun. (How big your mash tun needs to be) Are you figuring out what your mash tun size needs to be? or do you already have a mash tun at 52 quarts.
If you already have a 52 quart mash tun the grid shows at 70%-80% those gravity numbers are possible, but that depends solely on how you mash the grain, how your grain was milled, how accurate your mash temp is, etc.
With a 52 quart mash tun and 31.2lbs of grain it is possible to reach those efficiencies, its not saying if you have a 52qt mash tun with 31.2lbs of grain you will either get 70-80% efficiency.
If someone would like to brew a 10 gallon batch of beer (with 52qt mash tun) with a gravity of 1.105 gravity reading because they know that there system of brewing brings 80% efficiency out of the grain. Then there tun would require more grain, which in fact the 52 quart would not be big enough.

What is your batch size?
What is your desired OG?

Taken from post #9 (Desired OG x Batch Size)/17 = mash tun size

For my size mash tun I took my desired OG 1.060 x batch size 30 gallons / 17
(60 x 30) /17 = 105 qt mash tun. Roughly a ~6% beer

If I want Higher gravity beer then lets say desired OG is 1.080
(80 x 30) /17 = 141 qt mash tun. Roughly a ~8.9% beer

No Worries, I just figured out the grid after I posted about How Big My Mash Tun Should Be :-)

- Pliny the Elder

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #119
mendozer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ok. I just picked up a 10 gallon (40 qt) cooler tonight so that's what I'm working with. I'll do 5 gallon or 10 gallon batches in that I guess.

So for a 1.050 OG for example, that's a requirement of 14 qt and 29 qt for 5 and 10 gallon respectively. Ok got it. I didn't realize you were dropping the 1.0 from the OG so my numbers were way off

Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #120
jenkih
Recipes 

Looking to make my first mash tun and take the AG plunge, I did a partial mash last weekend and now I'm hooked!

I see a lot of people on this thread concerned with buying a cooler that it too small for their needs; I have the opposite problem. There is currently a great deal on Amazon for a 70qt Coleman Xtreme for $36.86 and free shipping. I'm considering this because it is actually a little cheaper that a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler and would allow me to do larger batches.

I currently do 5 gallon batches, but I'm sure I'll want to do 10gal or larger in the future. I also have never done anything with an OG of over 1.080. My question is, if I buy the 70qt rectangular Coleman, will it just be too big for 5 gallon AG brewing?

Thanks!

(link to the 70qt: http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-70-Qua...=2YO763I9QYTC7)

Quick Reply