Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hopback 101

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #31
nicadrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Drez77,

Can you detail the false botton/screen a bit? Does it just sit at the bottom? Can you show the outlet port from an inside view?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #32
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I have the hop back from B3. Edit: Fitted with tri-clamp fittings from Sabco. WARNING! the fittings alone cost more than the hopback itself.

Bought mainly to be used as a plate chiller pre-filter since I tire of the paint strainer filter/hop stopper/scrubby ineffectiveness with high hop loads and break filtering. But, I also grow my own hops and what a better way to put those to use than in a hopback eh?

Anyway, my filter method is to load the hopback with rice hulls. A 55 pound bag of rice hulls cost me $35 so, no need to skimp. Over that I place a stainless steel vegetable steamer basket. the basket weighs down the rice hull enough to creat a tight filter bed without sacrifice to flow. Without the basket the wort just drills through the rice hulls as they float.

Above the basket I can still add an ounce of hops should I choose to.

The result. All pellet hops and hot break trub are trapped in the rice hull filter medium and keep well away from my plate chiller therefore allowing me to dose my kettle free-nilly with whatever medium i choose.

Oh. And it makes a damned fine hopback too.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 03-19-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #33
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have the hop back from B3.

Bought mainly to be used as a plate chiller pre-filter since I tire of the paint strainer filter/hop stopper/scrubby ineffectiveness with high hop loads and break filtering. But, I also grow my own hops and what a better way to put those to use than in a hopback eh?

Anyway, my filter method is to load the hopback with rice hulls. A 55 pound bag of rice hulls cost me $35 so, no need to skimp. Over that I place a stainless steel vegetable steamer basket. the basket weighs down the rice hull enough to creat a tight filter bed without sacrifice to flow. Without the basket the wort just drills through the rice hulls as they float.

The result. All pellet hops and hot break trub are trapped in the rice hull filter medium and keep well away from my plate chiller therefore allowing me to dose my kettle free-nilly with whatever medium i choose.

sounds interesting, do you have pics?
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 03-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #34
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
sounds interesting, do you have pics?
No. Not of the hop back in service as a pre-filter. But the post was about a thousand words so that should paint the image.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #35
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
I have the hop back from B3. Edit: Fitted with tri-clamp fittings from Sabco. WARNING! the fittings alone cost more than the hopback itself.

Glad that worked out for you. I haven't been to the BM forum in a while.

No problems with haze from the rice hulls I take it? I would have thought not, it should be mostly beta glucans and not real soluble. I'm thinking about adding a hop back (mostly for, you know, hops) and this would be a way to keep the system the same if I don't want any hop character.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #36
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
No. Not of the hop back in service as a pre-filter. But the post was about a thousand words so that should paint the image.
187 words, only a partial picture
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Glad that worked out for you. I haven't been to the BM forum in a while.

No problems with haze from the rice hulls I take it? I would have thought not, it should be mostly beta glucans and not real soluble. I'm thinking about adding a hop back (mostly for, you know, hops) and this would be a way to keep the system the same if I don't want any hop character.
Nope. No issues on the second and foloowing runs so far. Just clean clear wort into and out of the plate chiller. I recirculate through the HB with the chill wizard to bring the batch temp down quickly and trap as much trub as possible. Yes, I realize I am also trapping cold break that is benificial to yeast but I usually dose the fermenter with some nutrient to be overly safe.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 03-19-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #38
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
187 words, only a partial picture
Okay. Full picture. Wallet sized. Uggggg. Will "try" to get pictures on teh next run.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #39
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i've been thinking about adding a hopback to my system, but am curious about how much of a difference it makes vs only FO hops. is the effect different or just more efficient? in other words, could you just replace the hopback hops with more FO hops, or is it just not the same? thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #40
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

GilaMinumBeer,

Are you rinsing the hulls before putting them in the hopback? They are so dusty/dirty without rinsing first.

Here's my hop back, it's a modified asparagus steamer:

I used it as a grant at first but it wasn't big enough for 12 gallon batches. I modified a corny to use as a grant instead:

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Quick Reply