Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hopback 101

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #21
drez77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Besides, if you are using an IC and going from kettle to fermenter, you should be well below that range anyway..Isn't that when a hopback is traditionally used, during transfer to the fermenter? If so you should hopefully be running it at near pitching temp.
I use my hop - back when I whirlpooling. So the last thing the hot wort goes through is a bed of hops to try and lock that aroma in. I think it is also possible to cold hop-back where you would put it in line between the cooled wort and the fermenter.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

The way I understand it is to be used between kettle and chiller. That way the hot wort extracts the volatiles and is immediately chilled so none escape to vapor, as in 0 min additions. (If you can smell the hops they are no longer in the kettle) This is the main reason I plan on trying one. The only downside I have seen is sometimes a hopback might also extract grassy aroma/flavor. If it does then I will have a SN Southern Hemisphere clone. Although its not something I would be proud of.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.
Northbanu Likes This 
Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
GlassblowersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My hop back, built with a SS braid about 8 inches long inside a small SS pot, continues to clog up with the fine pellitized hop particules and whatever isn't filtered out of my keggle through the SS mesh filter fitted into the inside thread of its ball valve. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep my SS braid from clogging? Ive heard about a screen pad. Anyone know what this is. Maybe some coarse steel wool sandwiched between two large holed SS screens. Maybe a series of mesh screens of varying sizes to filter larger to smaller particles before they get to the SS braid. I really want to use my hopback but it seems to slow down the chilling process so much, it makes my CFC kinda pointless. Without the hopback I get very fast chilling, but with it, it takes forever. BTW I am using a gravity feed for my whole system. Thanks

Primary #1: Air
Primary #2: Air
Secondary: Air
Kegged: Air and some mold

Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #24
mrbowenz

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassblowersBrew View Post
My hop back, built with a SS braid about 8 inches long inside a small SS pot, continues to clog up with the fine pellitized hop particules and whatever isn't filtered out of my keggle through the SS mesh filter fitted into the inside thread of its ball valve. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep my SS braid from clogging? Ive heard about a screen pad. Anyone know what this is. Maybe some coarse steel wool sandwiched between two large holed SS screens. Maybe a series of mesh screens of varying sizes to filter larger to smaller particles before they get to the SS braid. I really want to use my hopback but it seems to slow down the chilling process so much, it makes my CFC kinda pointless. Without the hopback I get very fast chilling, but with it, it takes forever. BTW I am using a gravity feed for my whole system. Thanks
Steel wool isn't your friend, I started collecting coffee screens, the cone shaped filters ( brass ultra fine weave ). You can find them a plenty at garage sales and the like. I used two of them, and then used monofiliment fishing line to join them together . They worked well for me .

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't think pellets are the right form for a hopback. It's instant sludge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #26
GlassblowersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowenz View Post
Steel wool isn't your friend, I started collecting coffee screens, the cone shaped filters ( brass ultra fine weave ). You can find them a plenty at garage sales and the like. I used two of them, and then used monofiliment fishing line to join them together . They worked well for me .

I will keep my eyes peeled for these. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #27
GlassblowersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I don't think pellets are the right form for a hopback. It's instant sludge.

If plugs arent available, can I put my pellets in a nylon bag in the hopback and run my hot wort into the bag attached around the hose with a zip tie? Just trying to figure out how to make this thing work. The hopback can probably hold about 1 gal of wort.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
GlassblowersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bump. Any advice or experience. If not im gonna give it a try and see what happens. Its just gonna be rough with a 10 gal batch if I have troubles.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
gonzo brewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a hopback using the same canister as drez77. My buddy welded ss nipples at 1" up from bottom and 1" down from top. He also fabbed a SS 3 legged ring that supports a SS sink drain screen (OSH) at the bottom. The ID/OD match is not perfect, so I put a lttle bit of SS scrubbie underneath at the outlet. I also drilled a small 1/8" dia hole in the top acrylic for venting so I can see the wort level. Otherwise condensation makes the acrylic obscure.

I Gravity drain from my keggle thru the hopback thru my CFC to a carboy sitting on floor. The bottom of keggle is 48" high. I constantly monitor the keggle ball valve and hopback outlet ball valve to maintain the canister level about 7/8 full.

I have used this about 12 times and have found that a small amount of pellets hops can be used with whole hops but they slow the drain process considerably. I have used up to 1-1/2 oz. of leaf hops and it takes about 15 min to drain/cool 5 gallons and about 25 minutes for 10 gallons. I also whirlpool before I drain and my keggle pick-up tube (with no screen) is on the outside wall of the keggle (I tilt the keggle at the final moment and shut off the valve right when the break matter hits the pickup tube).

I am an obsessive hophead and have learned that my Pale and IPA aromas have increased proportionally from late hopping - to tons of flameout hopping - to using a hopback in addition to flameout hopping. Now instead of using 3 oz. at flameout, I'll use 1-1/2 oz. at flameout and 1-1/2 oz at hopback for more aroma with the same amount of hops.

I am not sure how a pump would work on the outlet of the hopback, but the governing flow restriction in my setup is definately the CFC.

If you build one, duplicate the Morebeer unit but reduce the screen holes -they are too large and you will clog your CFC.

Kegged:Brown, WCIPA, orange cascade, Amber, Vanilla Porter
On Deck: APA, RyeIPA, Kolsch

Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #30
homegrownbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmudrick View Post
Is there a way to use a hopback without the use of a counterflow or plate chiller? I currently use an immersion chiller with no plans to change that..
i am playing around with the idea of going out of keg via ball valve to march pump. From march pump to hopback. Out of hopback to a custom copper tube fitted with a t fitting on the end right into Jamils whirlpool "S" shaped copper tube that goes right back into the keg. I also have an immersion chiller 50' 1/2 copper and dont want to change to IMC either. I like the simplicity and efficiency of my chiller. I thought you could immediately following the boil pump the hot wort through the hopback and then right back into the keg recirculating through the hop back as many times as you want, and then simply turn on the water to the immersion chiller already in the brewpot...you could continue to recirc the cooling wort through the hopback in theory filtering unwanted break materials and other trub...CANNOT WAIT TO BUILD THIS PUPPY!

Quick Reply