Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hop strainer?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #181
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,699
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

had sum time to kill here at work so I took a 40x40 mesh and put it against a paint srainer bag under a microscope for fun..lol.. what you think

forumrunner_20120612_160604.jpg  
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia
edmanster is offline
passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #182
Joseddl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

I built a different version of the hop strainer - a design that allows me to move it to one side and add in the chiller (I have a wide kettle). It worked like a charm! Wanted to share with you guys. The brackets are from an aluminum c-channel, stainless steel bolts. Enjoy!

2013-05-19-08_57_21.jpg   2013-05-19-08_56_57.jpg   2013-05-19-12_37_02.jpg  
__________________
Joseddl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #183
SNIPEONE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 3
Default

Ok, I don't get it, why would you not just use small hop bags and toss them in ?

__________________
SNIPEONE is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 AM   #184
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 346
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
had sum time to kill here at work so I took a 40x40 mesh and put it against a paint srainer bag under a microscope for fun..lol.. what you think
Interesting image. I used a paint strainer bag for the last time last week. I get terrible wort flow through it with a large amount of hops. I'm leaving way too much hop oil behind. Has anyone had success with some of the commercially available mesh stainless steel hop spiders?
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #185
carp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: va
Posts: 217
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I had used the hop strainer for a while, several years ago, and then got away from it for a long time. My systems clogs when using hop pellets so I put them in small muslin bags. I question the resulting utilzation, because of the small size and hence fullness of the bags, and they are a bit of a pain (i empty them and reuse them) .

So lately for my late additions (IPAs) with a lot of hops I've been using the strainer bags. I use a separate 9x12 size bag for each of maybe 10,5 and flameout addition, and toss the bags in (tied) not using a hanging fixture. One thing I really like is the ability to squeeze the bag near the end of cooling - recovering a lot of liquid this way that would otherwise be tied up in hops.

It's hard for me to imagine the issue of terrible wort flow, unless of course the hops are packed in there. It seems like fluid flows really easily through these. I don't bring this up to debate, I'm genuinely curious as to others' observations and thoughts on the issue.

Greg

__________________
carp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #186
DarkUncle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmingville, NY
Posts: 159
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPEONE View Post
Ok, I don't get it, why would you not just use small hop bags and toss them in ?
For me a hop spider is really the only way. When I simply tried using the little hop bags they would get sucked down to the bottom of the kettle and clog up my outlet when it was time to pump the wort to the fermentor or when recirculating during cooling. I suppose I could have tried fishing them out beforehand but I like to leave the hops in the wort as long as possible while recirculating before draining.
__________________

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

DarkUncle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #187
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
had sum time to kill here at work so I took a 40x40 mesh and put it against a paint srainer bag under a microscope for fun..lol.. what you think
This is awesome...probably a first! Why didn't I think of that???

I would be really interested in seeing:

1. A nylon bag that has been used for some time (to see if they melt and thus clog more easily with use).

2. Both materials actually full of hops right after the boil. You could see how the debris lodges in there. The folks using SS don't seem to have the clogging problems...I suspect the rigidity of the wires causes it to retain the particles differently. And they won't melt (if that is what the nylon is doing).
__________________
UNIBREW 5500 SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY
WOODEN SINGLE TIER
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #188
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 346
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I would be really interested in seeing:

1. A nylon bag that has been used for some time (to see if they melt and thus clog more easily with use).

2. Both materials actually full of hops right after the boil. You could see how the debris lodges in there.






Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

It's hard for me to imagine the issue of terrible wort flow, unless of course the hops are packed in there. It seems like fluid flows really easily through these. I don't bring this up to debate, I'm genuinely curious as to others' observations and thoughts on the issue.

Greg






Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
For me a hop spider is really the only way. When I simply tried using the little hop bags they would get sucked down to the bottom of the kettle and clog up my outlet when it was time to pump the wort to the fermentor or when recirculating during cooling. I suppose I could have tried fishing them out beforehand but I like to leave the hops in the wort as long as possible while recirculating before draining.
I make 10-11 gallon batches, and with beers that use a lot of hops, I've found that the flow of wort through a large hop strainer bag is terrible. I learned this by slowly recirculating wort at the end of the boil directly into the top of the hop spider (if you are setup for this, try it). The bag completely filled with wort like a huge balloon. I immediately stopped the flow and watched it. It stayed full and only partially drained, even after the boil kettle was completely drained.
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #189
DarkUncle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmingville, NY
Posts: 159
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Well I have yet to make an IPA, maybe this weekend. But besides a hop spider or the small muslin bags, which I also have concerns about hop utilization, there's really no other options.

I do intend to pick up a stainless steel hop spider in the near future but judging from the photo above, the mesh appears to be almost identical in the weave with the strainer bags. I suppose the only option is to increase the amount of hops to compensate.

__________________

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

DarkUncle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #190
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ocluke's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 346
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUncle View Post
Well I have yet to make an IPA, maybe this weekend. But besides a hop spider or the small muslin bags, which I also have concerns about hop utilization, there's really no other options.

I do intend to pick up a stainless steel hop spider in the near future but judging from the photo above, the mesh appears to be almost identical in the weave with the strainer bags. I suppose the only option is to increase the amount of hops to compensate.
From some videos that I've seen online of people using stainless steel hop strainers, they appear to have a good flow of wort through them. I'm sure some are better than others. I will probably buy one if the filter that I recently obtained from brewershardware.com doesn't do a good enough job of filtering out the hops. The reviews and their own test on the website look promising.
__________________
MetaBrewing.com - A blog documenting one homebrewer's experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
Continuously recirculating dry hops in the fermentor [video].
ocluke is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paint strainer bag as a hop bag? shlap General Techniques 15 06-20-2013 06:42 PM
Strainer or not? LarryC Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 09-13-2009 10:40 PM
hop strainer aflyershckyfan Equipment/Sanitation 11 02-23-2009 03:48 PM
Hop T: My new keggle strainer. Nostrildamus Equipment/Sanitation 9 09-22-2008 08:24 PM
strainer into secondary? jsloan General Techniques 4 06-17-2008 08:48 PM