Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hop stopper or something similar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is there a DIY on the design that Brewhead uses? I guess I would just need a materials list. Making it is fairly self-explanatory from the picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I believe that's a 18-8 stainless strainer from a store like Target. Looks like the screen was cut out from the frame, folded in half, then the edges sewn up. The mesh size seems to be too small to filter all pellet hops. You could go with a splatter shield which is a finer mesh or buy 60x40 mesh from Mcmaster.com

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
CollinsBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky

I was talking about this one...sorry. It looks easy enough.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, self explanitory. Large hop bag, pvc coupling, threaded rod and nuts.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
The only slight kink in the process that I can see is that you usually throw your IC (for those who use them) into the wort at T-15 so you'd have to take this sucker out, drop the IC in, then replace it to ready your last aroma addition.
I just made one of those 5 gallon paint strainers with the pvc coupling and used it for the first time on Thursday. It works great especially since I siphon my wort from the kettle. At 15 minutes left in the boil I just lifted the strainer out and let it drip for a few seconds and then slid my chiller in the pot and dropped the strainer in the middle of the chiller. Didn't spill a drop of wort. I was going to make a hopstopper like yours but after making this for 5 bucks and seeing how good it works first hand I decided against it. This batch was by far the clearest wort into the fermenter yet especially because I attached a 1 gallon strainer on the end of my Autosiphon when I racked to the primary.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsBrew
I was talking about this one...sorry. It looks easy enough.
guys can I ask what size coupler that is? It looks rather large in the picture but Home depot only sells 4". Is the photo just messing with my mind?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I primarily use whole hops, and I find that this false bottom works quite nicely for straining them out prior to my valve/pump.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #18
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
guys can I ask what size coupler that is? It looks rather large in the picture but Home depot only sells 4". Is the photo just messing with my mind?
step away from the kegerator

it's a 4 inch coupling. i used it becasue it has a ridge that gives the pipe clamp something to grip against when i've got the ting full o hop goodness

however a trip to your local plumbing outlet can yeild bigger couplings. HD/lowes/ etc cater to a general demand and thus you usually see smaller sizes of pvc

i don't diss the hopstopper or it's designer and the subsiquent diy knockoffs. most who have them swear by their greatness. my concern with the hopstopper is that if/when it get clogged...it's setting at the bottom of your kettle. not a whole lot you can do there. the hop bag can be lifted out ant any thime throughout the boil. on my stand i have pegs that i lodge the hop bag in and raise it up above the kettle at flame out to drain it's hoppy num nums

be for warned - after about 50 or so batches the pvc coupling will tend to warp a bit. a better design i'm working on is using a ss sleeve in place of the pvc

Old 04-07-2007, 01:15 AM   #19
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 33 Posts

I wonder if the black rubber couplings they have would work without warping or spoiling the brew somehow. They've got the hose clamps in built-in grooves.

Something like this, but 4"

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
gatest
Recipes 

Hey Guys,
Here's the one i made. I was looking for a design that would prevent the hops from just piling on top of the taco or hop stopper design. Here is what i came up with. It is a splater screen folded into a type of triangle. I used small stainless screws instead of sewing in the event i ever want to change the silicone washer. The parts cost me 12 buck total and the thing works like a charm for pellet hops.

img_0365.jpg   img_0364.jpg   img_0366.jpg  

Quick Reply