Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Homemade fermenter thermowell
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
thern001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: GAINESVILLE, FL
Posts: 45
Default Homemade fermenter thermowell

I have just finished making a homemade thermowell for my plastic fermenter basically I used the things listed below.

1.Rubber gommet 1 1/8 x 5/8 $1.04
2.1/2" x 8" stubout(pic below-the copper tube) $4.82
3.Thermometer w/submersible $6.29

Basically I opened a round hole a little wider than the stubout then placed the grommet in it, then placed the stubout in it and then the thermometer probe.

stubout.jpg

img_6389.jpg

img_6390.jpg

img_6391.jpg

__________________
thern001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
thern001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: GAINESVILLE, FL
Posts: 45
Default

oh by the way the little bubbles next to the thermowell are from the starsan

__________________
thern001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,876
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I would not use copper in the fermenter. Get some stainless.

__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
chazzman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 68
Default

Aren't most immersion chillers copper?

__________________
chazzman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
ikonis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 191
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Copper is fine. Just make sure its clean. Yeast needs a tiny bit of copper anyways.

__________________
Tyler's Brewing Supply
East Texas's ONLY Homebrew Supply Shop
ikonis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Blacksburg/Herndon, VA
Posts: 2,193
Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
I would not use copper in the fermenter. Get some stainless.
Any valid reasons/sources behind this?

Looks like a great idea to me!
__________________

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Germelli1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
KuntyBrew
Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KuntyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: in Da UP eh?, Michigan
Posts: 193
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

quoted from http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...or-homebrewers
"Copper is a double-edged sword in brewing. It is beneficial before fermentation, but detrimental afterwards. Copper ions react with the hydrogen sulfide produced during fermentation and reduce it to insoluble copper sulfide, which is left behind with the trub and yeast cake. Switching to all stainless steel brewing equipment can lead to noticeable quantities of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur off-flavors and aromas in the beer. The use of copper wort chillers will provide all the copper necessary, as will including a short piece (1 inch) of copper tubing in the boil.

Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper, although serving beer with copper tubing in a jockey box should not be a problem, because of the short contact time immediately before serving. "

__________________

2010 total: 25 gal
2011 total: 70 gal
2012 total: 15 Gal
Michigan Corrections

KuntyBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
thern001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: GAINESVILLE, FL
Posts: 45
Default

Yeah I just read that too. I was looking online and I couldnt find any ss tubing that looks the same so I was thiking of those flexible PVC tubing like the one used for transferring the beer. And since is not closed ended I'll just make another hole on the other end of the lid and make it like a u shape. Now I know that PVC is not good for the hot situations like when you are doing the mash but do you guys know if it's good for inside the fermenter

__________________
thern001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Blacksburg/Herndon, VA
Posts: 2,193
Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntyBrew View Post
quoted from http://www.byo.com/component/resourc...or-homebrewers
"Copper is a double-edged sword in brewing. It is beneficial before fermentation, but detrimental afterwards. Copper ions react with the hydrogen sulfide produced during fermentation and reduce it to insoluble copper sulfide, which is left behind with the trub and yeast cake. Switching to all stainless steel brewing equipment can lead to noticeable quantities of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur off-flavors and aromas in the beer. The use of copper wort chillers will provide all the copper necessary, as will including a short piece (1 inch) of copper tubing in the boil.

Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper, although serving beer with copper tubing in a jockey box should not be a problem, because of the short contact time immediately before serving. "
Thank you!
__________________

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Germelli1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,876
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thern001 View Post
Yeah I just read that too. I was looking online and I couldnt find any ss tubing that looks the same so I was thiking of those flexible PVC tubing like the one used for transferring the beer. And since is not closed ended I'll just make another hole on the other end of the lid and make it like a u shape. Now I know that PVC is not good for the hot situations like when you are doing the mash but do you guys know if it's good for inside the fermenter
I'm sure it wont be a problem with the beer but being a good insulater may not work so well as a thermwell.
As for the copper, it's already been posted so I wont go into that.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a Thermowell??? DarkSide Equipment/Sanitation 4 11-26-2013 03:22 AM
Using a thermowell Spartan1979 Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-01-2011 06:23 PM
RIMS Thermowell Bru Equipment/Sanitation 2 09-07-2010 08:20 AM
Homemade conical fermenter.....sorta Craig5_12 Equipment/Sanitation 9 11-19-2009 04:49 PM
Where is your thermowell? The Pol Equipment/Sanitation 36 05-20-2008 08:59 PM