*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Home Depot bucket wet vac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Home Depot bucket wet vac

HD has a $20 wet/dry vac head that fits on a Homer bucket (not included ) or maybe other 5 gal buckets that may fit the bill for mash tun cleaning. I do 10 gal batches and dragging my rectangular cooler filled with 30+ lbs of wet grain out to the compost pile is a real PIA. This may fit the bill to make life a little easier.

usual disclaimer - I have no interest in HD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds interesting. This?

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Last edited by lamarguy; 11-26-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It will work, but then you must deal with cleaning the vac hose so the advantage is debatable. IMO, it's easier to just scoop the spent grain into a bucket or two for transport to the compost heap. Once you get a substantial amount of the grain out of the cooler to lighten it up you can move it more easily if desired. A big plastic scoop can make the task much easier. I have a big 2 qt SS measuring cup that works well for this task.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is a $20 vacuum going to be powerful enough to suck up spent grains, doubtful.
You're probably better off dumping grains into a couple of homer buckets, it's a lot faster.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
wormfishin
Recipes 

I opted for a cooler with wheels, when it's full I just have to move it ~3ft down to the ground then roll it the rest of the way. Vacuum could be handy in general though.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
It will work, but then you must deal with cleaning the vac hose so the advantage is debatable. IMO, it's easier to just scoop the spent grain into a bucket or two for transport to the compost heap. Once you get a substantial amount of the grain out of the cooler to lighten it up you can move it more easily if desired. A big plastic scoop can make the task much easier. I have a big 2 qt SS measuring cup that works well for this task.
+1
Good point. Most shop vacs have a corrugated hose... would be a real pain to clean. I have 2 shop vacs and have not used either for cleaning up spent grain... after considering this point kinda glad I didn't.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I appreciate all the input. Maybe scooping would be a viable alternative. Dumping when full is complicated by the hinged lids. Maneuvering the heavy cooler while trying to keep it tipped the right way so the split lids stay open is dang near impossible (at my age anyway )

Old 11-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I remove the hinges from my rectangular cooler mash tuns. I see no real advantage to having them, and it sure makes it easier to clean it out.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I appreciate all the input. Maybe scooping would be a viable alternative. Dumping when full is complicated by the hinged lids. Maneuvering the heavy cooler while trying to keep it tipped the right way so the split lids stay open is dang near impossible (at my age anyway )
Ya know, the cooler would be considerably lighter if you drained all the juice into a couple of buckets after you have collected what you need for for the boil. IOW, drain the grain well before scooping or trying to move it. You can do this while you are waiting on the boil etc. Might take awhile to gravity drain, but most of it should come out within a half hour or so. Toss the weak juice on the compost pile too. The worms love it. The empty husks themselves weigh almost nothing once you drain the liquid. Even when they are still very wet they don't weigh all that much. I use this procedure every time I brew.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've used my shopvac about 5 times now to remove spent grain from the tun. It works.

I don't really like dragging my keg based vessels off the stand to clean them if I don't have to. I don't ever have to clean out the hose because I also suck out the cleanup water after scrubbing the inside of the BK and MLT. All that water cleans the hose.

The downside is that you still have to move the vac basin to the compost heap. If you don't care about compost, making an adapter to put the shop vac motor on top of a wheeled garbage can would be my choice.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply