Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > home-built immersion wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #31
dpeanut7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

OK. So I got antsy and did the build tonight. How can I say this, I'm not satisfied. Its just not as pretty as yours? How did you get the copper to be so tight around the pan, its like perfect. I'm going to keep working with it, but do you have any tips for getting the coil tighter? and is your coil really springy? Or does it hold its shape?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #32
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeanut7 View Post
OK. So I got antsy and did the build tonight. How can I say this, I'm not satisfied. Its just not as pretty as yours? How did you get the copper to be so tight around the pan, its like perfect. I'm going to keep working with it, but do you have any tips for getting the coil tighter? and is your coil really springy? Or does it hold its shape?
Honestly, I don't remember it being difficult to do. Just worked slowly and methodically coiling it around the pot. It does have some spring to it, but overall holds it shape. I wonder if you are using a different gauge copper? I think I probably used something like this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_23051-76063-...3D2&facetInfo=

Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #33
dpeanut7
Recipes 

Hmm, I'm going to try again with a bigger pot, and inquire some help from my dad. If its a work of art I'll post pictures, if it cools my wort I'll be satisfied. I believe I used the same wire, but I chose 3/8 inch for my surface area. That should've made mine even more sturdy though...

Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Pull each end of the tubing in opposite directions, then squish the coil together at the same time. You can also start on one end and push the coils away from your body and together, then work towards the other end. Then I take it off of the item I used to wrap it and twist it some, squishing it down. Mine isn't perfect but as long as it's not kinked, the coils all go down into the wort, and the ends hang over the edge of the pot...it'll do it's job.

Also, I used a ratchet to tighten the hose clamps after the first use or two. Screwdriver didn't have the torque to get it tight enough. Fittings would be nice but it doesn't leak since I cranked it down tight (do this while running water thru it so you only tighten as much as you need. The copper isn't indestructible and you CAN overtighten).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply