Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Home brew equipment rental

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
barbapapa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home brew equipment rental

I'm opening a home brew equipment rental store in the Toronto area. Is there any suggestions on type of equipment people would want, and what a fair rental fee would be?
Does anyone know of a store that is currently renting home brew equipment in other cities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That is an interesting idea, I just don't know how much business you will get, after someone rents once they will most likely build/buy their own. A BOP is probably a more viable option so you can teach people at the same time.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I second a Brew On Premises, combined with a LHBS.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The closest thing I've seen to some form of "sharing" of brewing equipment is when a club has something like a sophisticated and expensive large batch Herms unit, that a club may purchase and allow members to either "borrow" or rent it. Something like this.

And I've heard at times that can be a bone of contention, if one of their members doesn't take care of it, or fails to clean it properly after they use it.

But like monster said the rental of brewing gear isn't really something you hear much about....Especially rental geared towards beginning brewers....Sanitation/equipment usage, being to me the biggest drawback....I sure as heck wouldn't rent any "Post boil" gear like fermenters, and autosiphons, or bottling gear (unless it was a commercial grade bottling line that was in a location and I brought my fermenter to use, and it was constantly cleaned, maintained and sanitized properly.) I wouldn't want to risk using something that the previous user may have scratched or infected.

Except maybe a bench capper (but lots of LHBS rent those out to folks anyway, so that's nothing new.)

So that leaves pre-boil gear, which means a mash, tun brew kettle, burner and wort chiller (if you're not going high end like above) can you really make money soley renting those three pieces of kit? Maybe? But I don't think that should be the sole basis of your business...I would open a homebrew shop that makes those pieces available for rental....For a few buck. Either for the person to take home, or brew onsite...

But if it's onsite, then you'd do better making it a Brew on Premise.

What a lot of people who do BOP's DON'T do is do all grain (except I hear in Japan) most BOPs stick to the much simpler extract brewing. But I think a BOP SHOULD do all grain, and have high end, larger batch system.

If my homebrew shop was a BOP and had computer controlled 15 gallon systems to be used onsite for a reasonable rental I might even jump once in awhile. Especially with a canning/bottling line that is reasonably priced? Especially a can line? If that were the case, there's a couple of beers that I might consider brewing a huge batch of each annually and keep around canned (Maybe brew a 15-20 gallon batch of my house IPA, and Vienna Lager or Cream Ale, keg 5 gallons of each and can up the rest for the rest of the year) and then brew smaller batches of everything else I would normally brew on my own gear.

That way I'd never have a hole in my pipeline AND some of my favorite beers, those that I may actually brew a couple times a year anyway already on hand. I would do something like that if possible over the week I'm off between Christmas and New year, brew on premise a couple of my house beers and knock them off in one brew session. Then concentrate on everything else the rest of the year.

But if you're just planning to rent gear, I can't see that working, unless you went BOP.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

long term rental/rent to own/lease on the big stuff might be doable.

conicals, variable volume tanks, presses, apple grinders, turnkey stands and the like.

Lowjack it like other expencive equipment rental places.

large pimped out SS pots might be rented, look at some prices from places that do short term kitchen/catering rentals

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Given the location (Toronto) I can see rental and BOP being viable. the CA's have some nasty tax on beer, and doing HB/BOP saves a lot of money.

Price wise? I'd guess you have to rent a kit with deposit, and figure you will have to clean it afterwards. I mean you could rent out a carboy or a hyrometer, but more likely woudl be a whole kit set (6+gal pot, carboy, bottling bucket, etc) and then I'm guessing 20% retail with deposit? or maybe 30%? Also besides BOP, LHBS why rent the gear if you have nothing to put in it.

Alternatively if you are renting high end brewing equipemnt - something like Revy's picture or a MoreBeer scupture, that could be cool - although a sculpture lends more towards BOP I'd think.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I could kettles being something that someone rents. SS kettles are pretty much good for life and someone that is short on cash or doesn't brew that often could see a benefit in this service. You could also rent large kettles (25gal and up) for someone doing a huge batch for a party, wedding, get together etc.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I can't see renting anything other than a full-on single tier system. All the small stuff is fairly cheap if you're just brewing on a turkey burner with a cooler mash tun, or better yet, BIAB. What are you going to rent?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
barbapapa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. I was thinking more high end, all grain systems. There is no home brew shop in my neck of the woods, so that is what sparked the idea.
My target was an intermediate brewer who has maybe done some extract brewing at home with some make shift equipment.
I know of a handful of guys who said the have used the BOP, and would rather brew at home, but they don't want to invest in the equipment.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
barbapapa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy - I hear what your saying about a rental of a 15 gal system, but the licensing for a BOP makes it difficult in Canada.
Maybe a 10 gal system could be made portable in the back of a pickup, but I would want to go much bigger.

I think I would have to get some bullet proof equipment an expect to have to clean it myself after every return.

Quick Reply