New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Hinged False Bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
dannedry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hinged False Bottom

My new false bottom came today. It is stainless steel, hinged, and has a hole drilled for the dip tube. $59.95 + shipping from a place called Climax Homebrew, out of Climax, MI.

It seems sturdy and well built, looks nice, and is quite a bit less expensive than most of the other hinged false bottoms I have seen for sale online.

http://www.climaxhomebrew.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=1&option=com_virtue mart&Itemid=1

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
TXCrash

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have one from climax, one from jaybird. The one from jaybird is about $20 more and in my opinion, far worth the extra $20. Somewhere on the thread about jaybirds false bottoms I compare the two side by side.

That said, the FB from climax is a nice one - just not as nice as the ones from jaybird.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCurtis View Post
I have one from climax, one from jaybird. The one from jaybird is about $20 more and in my opinion, far worth the extra $20. Somewhere on the thread about jaybirds false bottoms I compare the two side by side.

That said, the FB from climax is a nice one - just not as nice as the ones from jaybird.
I was actually about to buy one of Jaybird's... then came across the Climax one at $20-$25 less. I do agree, Jaybird's does LOOK nicer, but they are made from the same gauge stainless, and have the same size holes and spacing... so I suspect they perform exactly the same. I figured, I would take that $25 I saved on the false bottom and build myself a nice stir plate for my yeast starters

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
TXCrash

Recipes 

From my post over on jaybird's thread...

Quote:
I've had a FB from jaybird for a while. A while back someone here listed a FB from another vendor which on paper is very similar. I've gotta say - the fit and finish of jays is better. Both are stainless, both are well made, they're made of the same gauge of stainless, both are for full size kegs and fold.

*Jays folds flat because the hinge is tack welded rather than bolted to the plates. This was likely a cost saving decision (shipping and hardware) but for storage it's great.
*There is no gap between plates on jays - on the other vendors there's a gap a bit wider than the perforations in the plates. I'm not worried that this will cause grain to pass, but it's annoying.
*The FB from jay just seems to have more thought put into the design and it's better executed.

False bottom from Jaybird. Note that there is NO gap between plates.

False bottom from climax homebrew. Note there is a sizable gap between plates.

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note the gap.

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note that jaybirds folds nice and flat.

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
J-Malone

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I have a question...given that there are some differences between the 2...other than the cosmetics of Jay's being able to lay flat (which I cant see why that makes any difference), and the hinge is welded rather than bolted (again cosmetic), and there is a small gap between down the center of the Climax FB, why should we pay $20 more for Jay's?

On Tap: Berlinner Weiss (still...lol), Dickson County Pale, Evil Twin Clone (Hoppy Amber)

Fermenting: McFearless IPA (Apollo/Summit Hop Monster!)

Cold Conditioning: English Pale Ale (Yorkshire Square yeast)

In the queue: Munich Helles, Standard American Lager (My Fizzy, yella beer try), APA (10g split batch using diff yeast), ABA (Hoppy 7-8%, Imperial Janets Brown??? maybe), Saison (using WLP670 American Farmhouse), Terrapin Hop Karma Brown IPA Clone

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
TXCrash

Recipes 

Just putting the information out there.

I have and use both FB's. I use jaybirds in the mash tun, the one from climax in the boil kettle as a hop stopper. Folding flat is nice for removing the FB from the BK, and for storage at those times ya don't wanna store it in the vessel it does its work in.

Ultimately, the gap bugs me. I'd gladly pay the $20 upcharge for a jaybird FB if some sucker would do it ;-)

Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
imsoweetadid
Recipes 

Or you could make your own for about $20

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
TXCrash

Recipes 

Details on the homebuilt one?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
imsoweetadid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCurtis View Post
Details on the homebuilt one?

All I did was measure the bottom of the keg it was going in, plasma cut out a circle to size, cut it down the middle with a thin cutting disc with an angle grinder, tack welded two pieces of stainless steel piano hinge cut to size, and for the legs, I copied the sabco brew magic design false bottoms, and welded 3 stainless steel nuts on the bottom of the false bottom, in chosen locations, and used stainless steel bolts that screwed into the bottom of the nuts and allowed for me to screw them in or out to get me to level the false bottom for a perfect fit. The whole project took a whole 30 minutes out of my day, between the cutting, welding, to a finished product. This false bottom I made for a local brewer, and sorry to say, I dont have the finished photos, but I cut out two more sets of preforated stainless cirlce to make two more for myself, and as soon as I put them together, I will post the pictures. I like to procrastinate, so it probably wont be soon! :-)

Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #10
bighand

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have both false bottoms (jaybird's and Climax's). I had a stuck mash using the Climax on the 5th batch I used it. I have never had a problem with the 3 batches I used Jaybird's on. Not sure if it has anything to do with the gap at the hinges but Jaybird's seems much more solid. Anyway, they may work the same just my experience...

Quick Reply