HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > High Temp Quick Disconnects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #21
crabtre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
I also found the hot-side tubing I use (bought from morebeer )
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17608/
and here is what I will replace it with when the time comes
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fna me=7511&product%5Fid=8415&variant%5Fid=54038
or maybe this (I have had a problem in the past with the tubing being cut easily at the clamp connection)
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fna me=7511&product%5Fid=8265&variant%5Fid=54056
Just an FYI. If you are using a pump and decide to go with unreinforced silicon tubing, make sure you get something that has a wall thickness greater than 1/16 of an inch (which is what the tubing you reference above has.) The vacuum created by the pump, even when unobstructed, will easily collapse the sidewalls of the tubing, especially when pumping hot liquids. It works great on gravity systems, but the pump is too much for it.

In fact, I have about 40' of unused 3/8 ID platinum cured silicon tubing to get rid of due to this very issue. Got a pump and found that the 10 feet I've been using won't work due to the lack of strength in the walls.

Just my $.02. Hope its helpful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I think this will be on topic...but not sure, the thread might have been highjacked from the original poster and if I remember from other threads Bobby has gone to brass quick connects in stead of the aforementioned CPC Polysulfone.

So... I have the polysulfone quick-connects and really like their ease of use. I went from using the auto shutoff to the straight-thru as I was getting too much grain clogging while recirculation the mash as well as transferring from mash tun to boil kettle. I have gone to a "pre-varlouf" with the hoses off just to get the grain cleared and the hooking the hoses up to start the recirculation. This seems to work best about 90% of the time. But i still get some clogging occasionally of grain in the little cross hairs of the CPC valves.

I have heard that some have drilled out the cross hair pattern in the center of these valves. Can anyone verify they have done this and what is the result? I am tempted to try the stainless/brass disconnects on the mash tun and kettle to avoid the clogging. Any input?

Thanks.

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #23
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have the same problem with my Polysulfone QD's. I will be drilling out the centers of mine really soon. Gotta love the auto shut offs on the cold side lines though. They really keep my kegerator and floor clean.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply