Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > HERMS Coil Bypass and Check Valve

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1061 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess I'm not following. Mash is recirculationg through the HEX. Rest and ramp to mashout is done and now you want to start sparging right? The new input of this pump should be the drain from the HLT so that it goes through the HEX to flush the wort (and clean the HEX) and the output is already heading to the top of the grainbed anyway. IOW, no reason to bypass the hex.

Now, maybe you plan to batch sparge and the actual first step after the rest is to use the pump to drain the tun completely. Even in that case, you would actually be better off diverting the mash runoff via a 3-way valve right after the pump. I don't know, hard lines suck for these reasons. If you really want to control everything with valves, a Tee with two separate valves is cheaper than a 3 way but the three possible states gets confusing.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I guess I'm not following. Mash is recirculationg through the HEX. Rest and ramp to mashout is done and now you want to start sparging right? The new input of this pump should be the drain from the HLT so that it goes through the HEX to flush the wort (and clean the HEX) and the output is already heading to the top of the grainbed anyway. IOW, no reason to bypass the hex.

Now, maybe you plan to batch sparge and the actual first step after the rest is to use the pump to drain the tun completely. Even in that case, you would actually be better off diverting the mash runoff via a 3-way valve right after the pump. I don't know, hard lines suck for these reasons. If you really want to control everything with valves, a Tee with two separate valves is cheaper than a 3 way but the three possible states gets confusing.
Maybe you're right, but isn't there a scenario where I'll want to recirc/vorlauf without adding heat? Maybe I haven't contemplated that angle and there's no reason...but I do batch sparge, and I do like to vorlauf/recirc for 10-15 minutes before draining the tun in either step.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1061 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Assuming you regulate the mash temp as a function of the HLT water temp, you're never really adding heat other than that required to hold mash temp. I'm sure someone can come up with a reason to bypass, but I don't know what that would be.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply