Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Here's something someone needs to invent...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Here's something someone needs to invent...

A little item which floats in a bucket or carboy and transmits temperature and SG of the fermenting wort through a wire to an extrenal digital monitor.

You'd have to have some sort of special bung that the wire passed through with a hole for an airlock.

Wouldn't that be cool? Plus you could have an option for this thing to also be a thermostat for controlling heating and/or cooling. It could tell you the change in SG over the last 24 hours, maybe--making it very obvious whether a beer is still fermenting.

Any ambitious inventers out there?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
A little item which floats in a bucket or carboy and transmits temperature and SG of the fermenting wort through a wire to an extrenal digital monitor.

You'd have to have some sort of special bung that the wire passed through with a hole for an airlock.

Wouldn't that be cool? Plus you could have an option for this thing to also be a thermostat for controlling heating and/or cooling. It could tell you the change in SG over the last 24 hours, maybe--making it very obvious whether a beer is still fermenting.

Any ambitious inventers out there?
Have it transmit wirelessly to a computer that records the info into a data file, complete with RSS feeds so it can be monitored via the web. One up it even more and have it attract large yeast particles to aid in removing them during the settling process.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

hmm interesting i do have a remote digital temp sensor/alarm in my hlt that alarms when i reach desired strike water temps.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Have it transmit wirelessly to a computer that records the info into a data file, complete with RSS feeds so it can be monitored via the web. One up it even more and have it attract large yeast particles to aid in removing them during the settling process.
Wait a second!! This would be quite dangerous. If I could monitor my fermenting ales at work via the web, . . . . I would never get any work done. I would be sitting in front of a computer monitor, watching for temp changes . . . much like I sit and watch the airlock bubbling

I highly recommend against this invention.

But I'll buy it when it hits the market. . . .

Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

I think someone needs to invent a method to move the arms in Cheesefood's avatar!!!

I do like the wireless idea, though!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Brewiz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
I think someone needs to invent a method to move the arms in Cheesefood's avatar!!!

I 2nd that!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is an interesting idea.

I don't think that wireless (ie the whole device inside the carboy) would work. Any device large enough to hold batteries (enough for transmission), the components for reading sg and temp and the floatation device would probably be too large to fit through the neck. A simple sensor (2 really) in the carboy with a wire coming out between the air-lock and the stopper seems to be a much better idea. Not only would floatation not be required (it would be suspended from the top), but it would be easy to remove, and it could even be plugged in for power.

I'm all for either a bluetooth or RF connection to transmit to a computer so that data could be recorded (graphs, trends etc).

This sounds like a neat side project. The thermometer could be made with a simple thermistor, and converted to temperature by the computer, but I don't know what kind of devices there are for reading SG. My brew-partnet is doing work on RFIDs (I think) for his masters, so he might be able to help me with the transmitting part. If you don't mind me stealing your idea, I would like to reasearch this. I'm a computer engineer (or at least I will be in December) so I would LOVE to do the software side of this (reciever, database backend, etc).

EDIT: A little research shows that it will not be easy to do specific gravity. I can't seem to find any specific gravity sensors, but if we had a density sensor we could easily find SG (sg = d-liquid/d-water). Anybody have a way to find either of these that doesn't involve moving parts or acoustic waves?

Last edited by opqdan; 05-25-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opqdan
If you don't mind me stealing your idea, I would like to reasearch this. I'm a computer engineer (or at least I will be in December) so I would LOVE to do the software side of this (reciever, database backend, etc).
Steal away. Just remember you owe me a beer or three when you get rich from this.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 05-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opqdan
This is an interesting idea.

I don't think that wireless (ie the whole device inside the carboy) would work. Any device large enough to hold batteries (enough for transmission), the components for reading sg and temp and the floatation device would probably be too large to fit through the neck. A simple sensor (2 really) in the carboy with a wire coming out between the air-lock and the stopper seems to be a much better idea. Not only would floatation not be required (it would be suspended from the top), but it would be easy to remove, and it could even be plugged in for power.

I'm all for either a bluetooth or RF connection to transmit to a computer so that data could be recorded (graphs, trends etc).

This sounds like a neat side project. The thermometer could be made with a simple thermistor, and converted to temperature by the computer, but I don't know what kind of devices there are for reading SG. My brew-partnet is doing work on RFIDs (I think) for his masters, so he might be able to help me with the transmitting part. If you don't mind me stealing your idea, I would like to reasearch this. I'm a computer engineer (or at least I will be in December) so I would LOVE to do the software side of this (reciever, database backend, etc).

A small fishing bobber can fit into a carboy, would you agree? The process exists to make a chip that would fit into such a bobber. The functions are: temp, gravity and bluetooth connectivity, correct? Now you just have to pay designers and process engineers to do it (100K's). If you bought the sensors and the tranceiver seperately, the space neeed would be significantly greater. The bluetooth tranceiver would be the largest and complicated (read expensive) component, so omitting that would be cost beneficial. I'll look for some sensors and see what I see.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm no expert, but I do know that size and power arent the limiting factors here when it comes to temp.

For example, RFID chips don't require power supplies because the reader sends power via radio freq.

http://csdl2.computer.org/persagen/DLAbsToc.jsp?resourcePath=/dl/mags/pc/&toc=comp/mags/pc/2006/01/b1toc.xml&DOI=10.1109/MPRV.2006.15

Limiting factor right now is cost of the reader? Army is already doing this http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/erp/story/0,10801,87623,00.html

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Last edited by olllllo; 05-26-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply