Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help troubleshooting kegerator leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #21
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You may have to take apart the regulators from each other and check them one at a time.

Do you have the little washer in place at the CO2 tank connection?

If you can hear gas constantly moving, it's got to be easy to find.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
wizardofza

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry Rhoobarb, I just saw that this thread was bumped....

I haven't been having any issues with my regulator setup. I know this because I can turn off the gas at the tank, and the 4 regs hold pressure overnight at what I have them set at.

BUT, I do have a leak somewhere from my secondary bank to the tank itself, possibly in my main regulator. I noticed that I didn't have teflon on the cylinder valve nut. I put teflon tape on and I'm curious to see if my tanks last a bit longer.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're still suspicious of your secondary regulator bank? Do you have kegs connected? If so, the first thing I would do is disconnect them.

Then I would make sure your check valves are all SHUT and turn off your gas at the tank. If in a couple hours the gauges go back to zero, you know you have a leak somewhere from your secondary to your tank (primary regulator included).

Can you disconnect the secondary and put some type of check valve on the end of your primary regulator/air line? That way you can pressurize that primary line so your can read a psi on your primary gauge. Then, shut the gas off. You should still see a positive psi reading on the primary gauge.

Let that sit a couple hours. If you come back and it's down to zero, it's something in your primary up to/possible including that check valve you have at the end of your primary line.

Try putting some non-scented soap in a spray bottle. That helped me immensely to track down my leaks.

If you do have kegs connected, I would try shutting each line off at the check valve one by one while leaving the gas on for a couple hours between each test. That might help you narrow down a keg/airline leak.
Hope this helps...

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #23
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
You may have to take apart the regulators from each other and check them one at a time.

Do you have the little washer in place at the CO2 tank connection?...
Yep; have that.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm now at the point where I am going to completely disassemble eveything, re-tape or maybe even use blue Loctite instead of teflon tape after reading a post on another thread opting for that as a better solution. I'll post some pics and keep you updated on what I find. Maybe what I find in my system will help someone else down the road with theirs.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #24
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Epilogue

Well, I feel like a bonehead and am a bit embarrassed to admit to what seems to be a stupid mistake on my part. But I'm going to post it anyway, just in case someone else out there is a dumb as I am about how to put together a bank of secondary regulators. Here was my mistake:

Apparently the "gas in" flows one way through these regulators! I had all my regulators lined up and everything oriented correctly, except I had the "gas in" entering from the left and my plug on the right! After much dismantling and retaping, I finally noticed that everyone had their "gas in" entering the regulator body from the right side! So, I hit my head in an "I coulda had a V-8" fashion and reversed the plug and "gas in". Now that everything is going from right-to-left instead of left-to-right, everything works great!

I think the only problem I may have now is one (out of the four I have) faulty gas line/disconnect going from the regulator to one of the kegs. But that's an easy fix.

Thanks to all who offered advice. It's great to finally have perfectly carbed beer and not have to turn valves on and off to save CO2. SWMBO & I sat up until 11:00pm last night watching the NCAA basketball tourneys and enjoying homebrew!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #25
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
Apparently the "gas in" flows one way through these regulators! I had all my regulators lined up and everything oriented correctly, except I had the "gas in" entering from the left and my plug on the right! After much dismantling and retaping, I finally noticed that everyone had their "gas in" entering the regulator body from the right side!
Wait. It matters which side is In? SH!T.

I JUST finished 3 hours of (very, very painful) assembly, and I put my IN on the Left, and my hex plug on the Right.

*cry*

And I JUST snapped one of my valves, too, so I have to buy a new ball valve and a new 90*deg fitting.

I shoulda bought a prefab one. I suck at DIY. I don't even own a bench vise. I spent an hour trying to get the regulators together tightly enough.

sorry for the thread rez. I just needed to explode a little.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #26
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Problems with AS&S regulators?

Ok, I'm afraid that I must report that I have joined the ranks of those having problems with AS&S regulators. Here's my info, please feel free to make any comment you think will help.

Up until this weekend I had one regulator, on 5 way manifold, and 4 checked gas-out to ball lock connectors. No leaks, 4 kegs under pressure since about a year ago. Since I recently added soda to my fridge, I wanted to expand my available pressures and purchased 4 used Perlick secondary regulators from American Science and Surplus. To go with that, I purchased 4 new gauges from abibeverage (eBay), three 1/4" brass M-M nipples from Lowes, and 2 more checked NPT->MFL valves. So now, my setup looks just like post #14 except that I have a valve on the left where the gas comes in and my gas-out connections are MFL, not barbed. All threads were liberally coated with paste pipe thread sealant prior to assembly.
Here's where the fun begins.

Sat AM - I installed my new reg bank in fridge checked the MFL fittings with soapy water, and pressurized her. As a test, I shut off the tank and all 4 gas-out valves. Within minutes I noticed that #2 and #4 (left to right) were dropping slowly. Since at least one of my valves had turned during assembly, I suspect they weren't tight enough.

Sat PM - I pulled the assembly out, benched it, and turned *all* fitting at least one more revolution. Now, they are definitely NOT too loose. If anything, they are too tight. Put her on the bench and gassed her up. While I let her sit, I applied more pipe sealant around all the junctions for good measure. I noticed that couple of gauges (not just 2&4) dropped, but only when they were turned away from me. I guessed that for whatever reason, they didn't like being rotated. So I turned it face up, pressurized the primary to 28psi, all secondaries to 20psi, closed the tank, and let her sit still. 1hr later, all gauges were still at 20psi. So I dumped the system and repeated the exercise. Same results. Happy that I had a simple seal problem, I reinstalled her and pressurized the system, being careful to close tank before retiring.

Sun AM - I checked the system and found the primary gauge at 15psi, gauge #1,3,&4 at 10psi (as expected), 2 at 15psi. Repeated exercise closing the valve to the primary gas buss and all gas-out. Returned 2 hours later to find primary line at 28psi (as left), #2&3 at 0, #1 & 4 at 10psi (as set).

Sun PM1 - Repressurized system, closed tank and all valves (again). 2hrs later found the primary gauge still at 28psi, gauge #1 at 10psi (as expected), 2,3,4 at 0psi.

Sun PM2 - Repressurized system, closed tank and all valves (again). 2hrs later found the primary gauge still at 28psi, gauge #1,4 at 10psi (as expected), 2,3 at 0psi.

Sun PM3 - Repressurized system. Opened tank and all valves. Returned 2 hours later to find primary line at 28psi, 2nd gauges as expected. Closing all valves now.
EDIT: After 7 minutes #1,3,4 are at 12psi (normal), #2 is at 5psi, primary is normal at 28psi.
EDIT: After 80 minutes #1 is still at 12psi (normal), #2,3,4 are at 0 psi. primary is normal at 28psi.
EDIT: After 3 hrs #1 is still at 12psi (normal), #2,3,4 are at 0 psi. primary is normal at 28psi.
EDIT: After 10 hrs #1,2,3,4 are at 0 psi. primary is normal at 28psi.

What I know
* Nothing leaked on the last bench test
* The gas-out lines, crimps, and connectors are not likely the problem as they have been in service, and the leaks still happen with them valved out.
* It's not the tank nut, the primary regulator, the hose into the fridge, the flare fitting into the regs, or the 1st valve (up to the ball) as the primary line never looses pressure when the gas-in to the manifold is closed.
* The #1 regulator is the only one that does not ever appear to leak down. It has a NPT-MFL valve that is not checked.
* The #2 regulator seems to leak down every time. It's also the only one at 25psi.
* The #3 and #4 seems to leak or not leak somewhat randomly.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #27
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Bump

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Shameless 2nd bump

Old 09-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #29
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I hooked mine up last night (been out of CO2) and have a similar problem.

(In to barb on left, hex plug on far right)

I applied pressure with ball valves closed, shut off the tank, and walked away. Within 10 minutes, regulator #1 was down to 0psi. Within another 45 minutes, regulator #2 was down to 0psi. #3 appears to be doing okay.

I don't know what I'm going to do. This thing is a pain in the arse to dis and reassemble, and my lack of a bench vise makes things really frustrating.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mine is the same except add a valve where your input barb is. If I close it, line pressure from tank to input valve stays at 28psi for days. Open that input valve, and the system leaks down...

What really makes me mad is mine works on the bench with all valves closed. I'm beginning to think these regs are very flaky WRT temperature.... Or perhaps they need high pressure (400psi+) to function properly. As a gamble I left the gas on last night to see if maintaining input pressure had something to do with it. Woke up to a dead tank...

At this point, I'm about to junk the AS&S regs and go back to a single reg with a manifold. That worked without incident for 7 years...

Quick Reply