New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help- Need some explanations about Keezers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Whisler85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help- Need some explanations about Keezers

So i have a fairly large chest freezer that finds little use and was given to me. Im sick and tired of bottling, and im ready to kick my homebrewing up a notch and go with 5 gallon corny kegs. I have the following questions:

-What are the dimensions of a corny keg?
-How can i control the temperature of my Keezer without fooling with excessive wiring (im not much of an electrician)
-How much can i expect to spend turning this freezer into the MOST BASIC Keezer? (function, not looks, is important)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The ranco controllers can be bough either prewired or you can wire them yourself. I did it myself because its cheaper but its your choice. Look in my signature and you can see my own keezer project if your curious. I would assume besides the hardware for actual kegging (co2 tank, regulator,taps,hosing,kegs, gas and liquid quick disconnects, possibly an air distributor), you may want to build a collar to allow for excess height although you can get by without it. The purpose is to allow more headroom for the cornies as well as possibly allowing the co2 tank (mines 15 lb and tall) to fit inside as well as allowing cornie kegs to fit on the compressor hump inside most freezers. Look in the DIY section on here to see other conversions.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
slimer

Recipes 

The Love Controller has an awesome face and operates EXACTLY like the Ranco. The Temp swing is +/- 1 degree.

Controllers-Panel Mount And Love On/Off Temperature Controllers - Cole-Parmer Catalog

Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A pre-wired Ranco analog controller can be had from morebeer for $55. I didn't comparison-shop so you may be able to find it for much cheaper from ebay or other places.... or you can get the digital version from morebeer for $100.

a basic 2-corney keg system from midwest supplies can be had for $200. You may be able to get it cheaper from other sources as well.

*edit*
I have the Love Controller pictured above. It's pretty easy to wire up, but if you're comfortable doing that, the Ranco controllers are pretty good too, from what I've read in these forums.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Last edited by A4J; 10-14-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply