Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > help me understand propane burners, and check some out...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default help me understand propane burners, and check some out...

Okay, first thanks folks for bearing with me on my other related threads. I am pretty clueless about all this stuff. If I want to bbq or anything, I make a fire.

Yeah, I am primitive. So I do not understand all this "modern" fire stuff but am an eager learner... okay.

So, can someone explain the basics of the different types of propaen burners, regulators, types of propane, etc. in terms a neandrathal such as myself might understand uh, me like fire.

and also, I came across a couple of burners on craigslist. I was going to post the pic but I cannot find the ad anymore. They were pretty industrial looking and the guy wants$75 each. Any advice on checking them out? I will go have a look next week but I am not confident I can estimate their potential.

Thanks again for helpin' out this clueless fool.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I probably know about as much about propane burners as you do. i.e. very little, but I've had three over the past 14 years. They have all been adequate heat wise for 5g brews, and could probably also handle 10g brews as well.

I bought burner #1 14 years ago. It looks very much like
http://www.brew-winemaking.com/productimages/4072.jpg
and gave me about 3 - 4 batches per gallon.

Two years ago, I replaced it with the Karp’s Special King Cooker see http://www.homebrewshop.com/ and look under equipment.
This is advertised as 175,000 BTU, and has a really solid frame. This one gives me about 6 batches per tank of propane. However, see http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbsto...rm=king+cooker
This looks identical to mine, but advertised 55,000 BTU.

Too weeks ago, SWMBO parked her car on the connector between the tank and the burner, shattering the connector. As I couldn't get a new connector, I had to buy a new burner. (I found this out between the sparge and the boil).

I bought http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29426
BTU wise, it's more than adequate ( advertised as 150,000 BTU), but the frame is downright pathetic. I certainly wouldn't trust a 10g batch on this burner.

I don't know how much propane this burner uses yet as I've only done two batches with it. If it turns out to me more efficient than the King Cooker, I'll try mounting the burner in the King Cooker frame. Otherwise, I'll go back to the King Cooker (I managed to get a new connector on Friday).

Hope this helps

-a.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

OK. I'll give it a whack.

There are 2 things to consider, the regulator pressure and the burner design. Some will only work with 10 psi (low pressure), some will work with either low or a 20 psi (high pressure), and then you've got the banjo burner that's designed for a 30 psi regulator.

Note the following descriptions come directly from www.bayouclassicdepot.com

Starting w/ the most common burner type. It's sold by many different people with different ratings. The difference is the regulator that comes with it. BTW - I've got 3 of these w/ a 10 psi regulator and they work fine on my brew stand for 10 gal batches.

The High Pressure Cast Iron Burner replaces the Bayou Classic propane burners in the round burner frames. This particular high pressure cast iron burner can handle a higher heat then our fry burner and a regulator with a higher PSI. This burner gives off a blue high heat flame. The face of this cast iron burner measures 4 inches in diameter.

Now the less common, potentially less powerful fry burner.

The Bayou Classic high pressure cast iron fry burner is considered a high pressure burner but in Cajun terms is low pressure. This cast iron fry burner performs well when used with 10 PSI regulators. If you put a higher BTU, the flame is less controllable. You will also have an issue with the burner receiving too much propane, which will result in your flame blowing itself out. We do use this burner in the SQ14 propane outdoor cookers and 1114 stainless steel propane outdoor cookers. The face of this cast iron burner measures 5 1/2 inches in diameter.

And then of course the banjo burner.

The Bayou Classic High Pressure Banjo Burner is one of Bayou Classic’s most powerful cast iron burners. This cast iron burner is the same burner found in the KAB4 outdoor propane burner. The BTUs of this burner can produce over 210,000 BTUs plus! In order to obtain a nice, crisp flame, you will need at least 20 PSI regulator. For best results, we suggest purchasing a regulator (7850, 0-30 PSI), a propane hose (7906, 7908, 7910) and orifice (5235). The face of this cast iron burner measures 10 inches in diameter.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So I don't know a lot about propane stuff either. I know it is great to grill on (easy on/off) and I just bought the cheapest turkey fryer I could get at Wal-Mart. This had the burner like the first one pictured above. I figure if it is good enough to get a pot of oil up to 350 or whatever if should have no problem boiling water. I was right. I never planned on doing full boils, but after collecting all the run-off of my first mini mash I had nearly 5 gallons which boiled quicker than I can get a big pot of water to boil when I am making pasta.

So my inexperiences opinion is if it is good enough to fry turkey it is probably good enough to make beer. Now if you are doing 10 gallons or something crazy like that you will want something with "more power."

Old 05-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
OK. I'll give it a whack.

There are 2 things to consider, the regulator pressure and the burner design. Some will only work with 10 psi (low pressure), some will work with either low or a 20 psi (high pressure), and then you've got the banjo burner that's designed for a 30 psi regulator.

Note the following descriptions come directly from www.bayouclassic.com

Starting w/ the most common burner type. It's sold by many different people with different ratings. The difference is the regulator that comes with it. BTW - I've got 3 of these w/ a 10 psi regulator and they work fine on my brew stand for 10 gal batches.

The High Pressure Cast Iron Burner replaces the Bayou Classic propane burners in the round burner frames. This particular high pressure cast iron burner can handle a higher heat then our fry burner and a regulator with a higher PSI. This burner gives off a blue high heat flame. The face of this cast iron burner measures 4 inches in diameter.

Now the less common, potentially less powerful fry burner.

The Bayou Classic high pressure cast iron fry burner is considered a high pressure burner but in Cajun terms is low pressure. This cast iron fry burner performs well when used with 10 PSI regulators. If you put a higher BTU, the flame is less controllable. You will also have an issue with the burner receiving too much propane, which will result in your flame blowing itself out. We do use this burner in the SQ14 propane outdoor cookers and 1114 stainless steel propane outdoor cookers. The face of this cast iron burner measures 5 1/2 inches in diameter.

And then of course the banjo burner.

The Bayou Classic High Pressure Banjo Burner is one of Bayou Classic’s most powerful cast iron burners. This cast iron burner is the same burner found in the KAB4 outdoor propane burner. The BTUs of this burner can produce over 210,000 BTUs plus! In order to obtain a nice, crisp flame, you will need at least 20 PSI regulator. For best results, we suggest purchasing a regulator (7850, 0-30 PSI), a propane hose (7906, 7908, 7910) and orifice (5235). The face of this cast iron burner measures 10 inches in diameter.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers!
Interesting! A football website gave you all this information? Was it found under the tailgating section? LOL! Sorry! I couldn't resist. Bayou Classic Fryers I'm assuming this was the link you were trying to post.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

um, still lost I am afraid. Thanks for trying. I guess I need more specific questions. Which the explanations thus far have helped me to narrow in on a litte. I think...

Um, start with propane. There appears to be 2 types of propane? High and low pressure rated? Am I way off here? Remember I have never bought propane except for my household stove/water heater etc. and I have no idea other than the tank gets filled a few times a year and I get billed. Oh and propane torches.

Okay, burner unit. Blow torch type not yet shown but basically just a pipe like a propane torch blows gas and burns. Not very efficient. Yes?

Than you have the round cast iron ones with holes around the face more like a stove top? Now these put the gas out at different pressures? Pressure effects efficiency or heat output? Or is pressure only controlled by the regulator???

Okay, I am a lost cause here... Thanks for your patience!

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

wish I could find the pics of those beasts I found on craigslist. They looked pretty heavy duty or at least the frames were super solid possibly custom welded. NO idea about the burner though.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

OK, are you looking to buy just the burner (to hook up to a brew sculpture or something), or are you looking for the whole setup, with a burner housed in a frame, with a regulator, and all of that?

For the latter, I really, really like the Bayou Classic Banjo Cooker (which is also referred to as Kick-A). Look in my gallery for a pic (if you can spot the burner in the photo). I paid $65 for it, I think it may have jumped to $90, but it's awesome. Everyone else who has it seems to love it. It's got a high-pressure regulator. It throws off a ton of BTUs, 210k. The frame is plenty strong to hold a full keggle (although it's a little small). The only thing it's not great for is doing a step-mash or anything that requires a REAL delicate touch with the heat. It's very quiet, and seems to be about-average with its propane usage. I'm not sure what you would call it, but it's not the blowtorch kind.

Now, if you're looking to build your own setup and want to bold/weld just the burner part in place, sorry, I can't help you there; sorry to waste your time

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think the thing you need to decide is whether you want to run off a portable 20lb tank or your house propane. I have natural gas at my house so I don't know much about whole house propane. Does the house have a central regulator to get the pressure down to 20/30psi for your appliances? I'd imagine so. In that case, you can have a plumber run another line to your brewing location. Hey, no dragging empty tanks for exchanges!

You can buy a burner and stand together or you can buy just the burner and build it into a DIY brewstand. Many options. By the way, when they say low or high pressure, I believe a 10psi reg is considered "low" and 20 or 30 psi regs are "high".

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblvsn
Interesting! A football website gave you all this information? Was it found under the tailgating section? LOL! Sorry! I couldn't resist. Bayou Classic Fryers I'm assuming this was the link you were trying to post.
Oops. No, actually it was www.bayouclassicdepot.com. That's funny!

Quick Reply