Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help:Indoor brew setup

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Racedog
Just a Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 31
Default Help:Indoor brew setup

I will be finishing my basement this summer (economy willing) with a room for movies/music, one for bar and pool table, a bathroom, a bedroom, and finally a brew room.

I would like to incorporate an indoor brew room so I don't have to take everything from storage to the upstairs kitchen and deck. Also this will allow me to brew with a nice soundtrack of music on the stereo instead of irritating the family or having to listen to chick flicks or cartoons.

I have room for some kind of stove or burner, sink, refrigerator(for temp controlled fermentation), shelving for HLT/mash tun/brew pot, and storage. I will install a bottling station/counter with underneath storage.

What is the best burner/stove for indoor brewing? (Gas line will be run)
What is the best for fresh air and exhaust vents/fans?
Any other ideas?

__________________
Racedog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
theonetrueruss
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
theonetrueruss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 794
Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Default

what about going electric? would still need some ventilation for the steam but not as much as for propane burners. And then it is not really a safety issue, more of a not getting a gallon of condensation on your ceiling.

__________________
TheOneTrueRuss
Fat Messiah Brewing
theonetrueruss is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
erikrocks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 661
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I tell ya, from experience, go electric. It's really difficult--though I'm sure not entirely impossible--to buy an affordable hood fan that will pull the CO, CO2, and water vabor out of your basement adequately. And, even if you do, you'll be brewing to the sound of jet engines inside.

I know--I did it for 2 years. I'm sure I lost more brain cells to noxious fumes than I could afford in the meantime. Then I got wise and went electric. It takes time to acquire all the electronics and put the control panel together, but there's no way I'd go back.

__________________
erikrocks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oakbarn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Argyle, Texas
Posts: 723
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

In a basement go electric. You can also ferment in corney kegs inside a chest freezer with a temp comtroller. You do not really need to do any thing to a corny keg to use it and it fits without a color on the freezer. 7 foot one or bigger

__________________
oakbarn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 821
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.

__________________
jcaudill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
erikrocks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 661
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill View Post
If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.
This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.
__________________
erikrocks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
rhoop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 156
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default

I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.

__________________
rhoop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 821
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.
Sorry let me clarify my statement: more costly to get setup. I wasn't trying to imply it's costly to run.
__________________
jcaudill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 821
Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoop View Post
I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.
Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.
__________________
jcaudill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,713
Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill View Post
Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.
Well, all of those gas appliances (except for a stove) are vented to the outside! A stove does not vent outside, but that's why there are tons of warnings about not using it in enclosed areas and not using it for supplemental heat. Unvented gas appliances are deadly. C0 poisoning is no joke, and is very serious.

If going with gas, I'd make sure to have a furnace/appliance guy help with the proper venting including the proper range hood and fan.

I brew indoors, but I'm 100% electric. I get some condensation (lots actually if the door is closed to my brew room) but no deadly gasses and fumes. I would never ever recommend doing it in an enclosed space with propane or natural gas.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My brew setup Loki4711 Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-01-2010 08:18 PM
brew set up question, full boil cfc indoor spartanchip Equipment/Sanitation 3 06-24-2009 03:30 AM
Help with Indoor NG setup noisy123 Equipment/Sanitation 8 02-09-2009 06:03 PM
Indoor safe Half Barrel Brew systems, lets see what you've got! Rad-Rabbit Equipment/Sanitation 13 01-27-2009 08:54 PM
I am looking for the Cheapest indoor brew stove... RedOctober Equipment/Sanitation 12 01-02-2009 04:02 PM