Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help:Indoor brew setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Racedog
Just a Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help:Indoor brew setup

I will be finishing my basement this summer (economy willing) with a room for movies/music, one for bar and pool table, a bathroom, a bedroom, and finally a brew room.

I would like to incorporate an indoor brew room so I don't have to take everything from storage to the upstairs kitchen and deck. Also this will allow me to brew with a nice soundtrack of music on the stereo instead of irritating the family or having to listen to chick flicks or cartoons.

I have room for some kind of stove or burner, sink, refrigerator(for temp controlled fermentation), shelving for HLT/mash tun/brew pot, and storage. I will install a bottling station/counter with underneath storage.

What is the best burner/stove for indoor brewing? (Gas line will be run)
What is the best for fresh air and exhaust vents/fans?
Any other ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

what about going electric? would still need some ventilation for the steam but not as much as for propane burners. And then it is not really a safety issue, more of a not getting a gallon of condensation on your ceiling.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I tell ya, from experience, go electric. It's really difficult--though I'm sure not entirely impossible--to buy an affordable hood fan that will pull the CO, CO2, and water vabor out of your basement adequately. And, even if you do, you'll be brewing to the sound of jet engines inside.

I know--I did it for 2 years. I'm sure I lost more brain cells to noxious fumes than I could afford in the meantime. Then I got wise and went electric. It takes time to acquire all the electronics and put the control panel together, but there's no way I'd go back.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In a basement go electric. You can also ferment in corney kegs inside a chest freezer with a temp comtroller. You do not really need to do any thing to a corny keg to use it and it fits without a color on the freezer. 7 foot one or bigger

Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
erikrocks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill View Post
If indoors I'd only run natural gas. But you definitely need good ventilation. I would not run propane. Electric is a good option too although usually a lot more expensive and you need some dedicated circuits.
This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
rhoop
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
jcaudill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrocks View Post
This point has been tackled in this thread, among others. Brewing with electricity is not more expensive than propane. As far as "dedicated circuits, all you'd need to do is run a 30 amp 240v to a spa panel.
Sorry let me clarify my statement: more costly to get setup. I wasn't trying to imply it's costly to run.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
jcaudill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoop View Post
I might be wrong, but I understood that natural gas actually has much more noxious byproducts than propane. I wanted to put a natural gas line in my garage so I dont have to worry about propane tanks, but was told by multiple plumbers that in a closed space (I have to keep my garage closed in the winter to brew) propane is much better.

Its possible to have proper ventilation without a huge fan by making sure you have both an intake and exhaust fan in the room positioned properly to allow proper airflow. Talk to an HVAC guy before going electric to see how many cfm you'd need for proper ventilation.

It sure seems from reading what people say here on hbt that electric is the way to go if you can afford it though.
Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4366 Times on 3174 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudill View Post
Well unless I'm missing something - they use natural gas burners indoors. Stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, etc. If it was that big of a problem then I'd think we wouldn't be using it. However - most of those applications use it in bursts. So perhaps there's something about length of time that plays in here.
Well, all of those gas appliances (except for a stove) are vented to the outside! A stove does not vent outside, but that's why there are tons of warnings about not using it in enclosed areas and not using it for supplemental heat. Unvented gas appliances are deadly. C0 poisoning is no joke, and is very serious.

If going with gas, I'd make sure to have a furnace/appliance guy help with the proper venting including the proper range hood and fan.

I brew indoors, but I'm 100% electric. I get some condensation (lots actually if the door is closed to my brew room) but no deadly gasses and fumes. I would never ever recommend doing it in an enclosed space with propane or natural gas.

Quick Reply