Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help identifying keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Pabst Blue Robot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help identifying keg

I recently got a free keg that I'm working on turning into a fermentor, but I'd like to figure out what style of keg it is first. It is from the old Olympia brewery.

It is cask shaped with a bung in the side half way down. No valve at the bottom, but an unfamilar connector on top. It's not the golden gate style that you normally see on the cask shaped kegs.

The top connector is about the diameter of a #10 bung with two holes about the same diameter as a standard racking cane. One is connected to a dip tube. The connector isn't threaded but appears to be part of the keg. It is located dead center on top in a little recess, and there are two horizontal posts between the connector and the inside of the recess.

There is also a cover for the connector which has a rubber coating on the inside and can be screwed/locked into place over the connector. Both holes are still accessible but there is an air seal due to the rubber. I can take a picture when I get home but I'm hoping this rings a bell for somebody and I can figure out what sort of tap it takes and if this might aid me in turning it into a fermentor.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Gedvondur

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a Hoff-Stevens as Brewtopia indicated. They used to be pretty prevalent. Not many of those around any more.

I used to tap Hoff-Stevens kegs of Old Style at I job I had in the late eighties.....messiest system ever.

Gedvondur

Natural 20 Brewery

Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The holes on mine are identical in size, and the connector is symmetrical. It lacks screws as well, the whole connector is actually part of the keg and does not come off. Other than that it's pretty similar. Is there anywhere on the web with pictures of the different types of couplings? Thanks for the help!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

This site will tell you what breweries use what type kegs. Post a picture when you get a chance and I'm sure we could tell for sure what you have. Still sounds like Hoff-Stevens though.

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll post a picture when I get home from work, thanks for the link.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a couple pics of the keg and the connection fitting. I stopped by my LHBS, Larry's Brewing Supply in Kent, and Larry immediately recognized the picture I drew as an Oly keg. He said it was not a Hoff Stevens. I think we're just going to cut the connector off and use a bung for the airlock.

Last edited by Pabst Blue Robot; 04-29-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, that's definitely not a Hoff-Stevens, unless it's an early design.

I will be at Larry's tomorrow picking up grain with a buddy of mine. He's the head brewer at Stix downtown in South Lake Union. I get to brew on their 7 bbl system on Sunday!

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've probably run into you there before and not realized it, it's my home away from home. Good luck on your brew tommorrow!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Larry's is about 5 miles from my house and was just there on Wednesday for ingredients. He has everything there. Huge supply of grains for sure. Very helpful but the older lady that works up front can be a beotch.

Quick Reply