The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help, compressor on freezer gets hot!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
kmcace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Help, compressor on freezer gets hot!!

I just picked up a 25ft chest freezer from work. I plugged it in and the inside gets cold but the compressor get pretty hot. What should I look at first to get this to run cooler? I plan on using this as a fermentation box so I will not be pushing it to get down to freezing temps. Should I be concerned or just run a separate fan off of the temp controller as well and have that blow on the compressor as it runs. Thanks

Kevin
Raising Caine Backyard Brewery

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-3...-stand-300247/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Compressors get hot. Is it reaching temps and shutting off? Are you allowing ventilation space around the unit?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
kmcace
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Compressors get hot. Is it reaching temps and shutting off? Are you allowing ventilation space around the unit?
I ran it for about an hour and the inside walls were getting frosty. I did not leave it on long enough to shut its self off. Ventilation is not a problem, I had it sitting in the middle of the garage with nothing around it.

Kevin

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcace View Post
I ran it for about an hour and the inside walls were getting frosty. I did not leave it on long enough to shut its self off. Ventilation is not a problem, I had it sitting in the middle of the garage with nothing around it.
I would try it again (when you are home, just to be safe). Our freezers at work get pretty darned hot when they are first turned on. I think that's normal.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The compressors and skin get hot the inside gets cold that's how they work. The more thermal mass you have inside the less it will run and the lower temp fluctuations you will have.

I was looking for a 25 cu ft and settled for the 19.7 holds 14 five gallon kegs(no collar) and 2 three gallon kegs on the hump. Loaded up mine runs about 2 hours total a day for a bout five minute run time and the compressor only gets warm.

Nice unit enjoy

Attachment 120467

image-420469495.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
kmcace
Recipes 

Damn that's a lot of beer on tap!!! The guys at my work were going to toss this thing away because they said that the compressor was getting hot. I don't believe that they had much in it. I think I will run it again this weekend and see how hot the compressor gets. Would it be better to put buckets of water in it to add some thermal mass? Thanks

Kevin

Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

My SWAG is it's got a refer leak or the condenser coil is plugged or the condenser fan is shot. see my user name

Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
My SWAG is it's got a refer leak or the condenser coil is plugged or the condenser fan is shot. see my user name
Uhm, MOST chest freezer that are not commercial grade, Don't have fans or need them. And the coils are sealed within the walls of the unit. (refrigeration tech)

Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcace View Post
Damn that's a lot of beer on tap!!! The guys at my work were going to toss this thing away because they said that the compressor was getting hot. I don't believe that they had much in it. I think I will run it again this weekend and see how hot the compressor gets. Would it be better to put buckets of water in it to add some thermal mass? Thanks
I'd throw in a few bags of ice, to cool down 25 cu ft even to the warmest setting will take a couple of hours which is a hard thing for these small compressors. On start up I had 6 bags of ice and 6 cold kegs, I removed the ice once the compressor was cycling for about 5 minutes every 1/2 hour or so

Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Uhm, MOST chest freezer that are not commercial grade, Don't have fans or need them. And the coils are sealed within the walls of the unit. (refrigeration tech)
Wow tuff room, the guy said he got it from work, AKA commercial grade. I was posting to help the OP, you posted just to mock me.

Quick Reply