New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help choosing a SS conical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins View Post
Got any more info on these? His site didn't seem to have much info other than "testing, more coming soon." Same with the threads on here.
bakins; best bet is to contact Matt at CHI on the progress he'll give you straight answers he's a straight up guy with a big operation up in Antilope California just east of Sac.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #22
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When you hear something from him, let us all know.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #23
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I have one of these and haven't used it yet (and don't want to get flamed for it) but I'm excited to use it.

http://www.synergymetalworking.com/BrewingEquipment_3.html

All I can say is that the weld at the base is done 'very' well. Smooth like baby butt. And the 4" tri-clamp top is wide enough for me to scrub every part of the inside with a scour pad with no handle- mostly cause of my raging biceps. Also it is another gallon capacity than the 14.5 gal models out there.

It is pressurizable to 60 psi. From what I have researched, the CHI ones are the only fancy pants conicals that can go anywhere past 5 PSI. They are 30, I think. I had a 16" thermowell welded into mine from the top tri-clamp. Easy off for boiling. No weldless bits to unscrew.

This is in the mid $400 range and the only other options at that price are a mini-brew plastic conical and the Chinese imports. Anything 'better' is more than double unless you can find a craiglist.

When I do ferment in them I will post my experiences. Now to get my chamber ready.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
Sure, but the point is for the same price, you have the flexibility to grow if you want. You may be 100% sure today that you will never, ever want to do more than 5 gallons, but we all know how all-consuming this hobby can be, and a (expensive) stainless conical fermenter is something that, given proper care, will be around long after you're dust. You can always ferment 5 gallons in a 14 gallon fermenter.

Blichmann said he does not recommend fermenting 5 gallons in there 14 gallon version. This is what John had told me.
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #25
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
Blichmann said he does not recommend fermenting 5 gallons in there 14 gallon version. This is what John had told me.
That is strange, I e-mailed him asked him about fermenting 5-6g batches in a 14.5g conical I received this response.

"Yes, but you will have less head pressure to push out the yeast so you may
need to use CO2 pressure to push it out. The CO2 from fermentation will
protect the beer from oxidation for aging.

Sincerely,

John Blichmann
Blichmann Engineering, LLC"

With that said, I have done many 5g batches in my 14.5g conical with zero issues.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #26
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well don't know what to say as this was many years ago. I can tell you it is one quality product and John is home brewer friendly.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #27
MrH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
There is a common misconception that a fermenter must be sized exactly for the brewlength. I don't know where this comes from, but when you think about it, it really doesn't make sense, just like the obsession with closed fermentation in general. If you are on top of your sanitation, pitch the proper quantity of yeast, and use a lid to keep out bugs, you can ferment in any container (i.e., pot) with consistent results, although I wouldn't recommend it with the no-chill method. There were quite a few discussions on the Home Brew Digest back in the '90s about fermenter geometry, and the general consensus was that on the homebrew scale, there are no perceptible differences (ignoring dimensional extremes), meaning that you get the same results fermenting 5 gallons in a corny as you will with a 14 gallon conical (or 15 gallon pot which I use). The best reason to use a conical for me is ease of clarification (trub removal), and yeast harvesting. Top cropping ales is easy enough with an open fermenter, but where I'm living now (PNW), the air is a veritable pea soup of microorganisms I don't know how successful I'll be with open fermenting once I start back up, hence my interest in conicals now.

MrH

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #28
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankePankey View Post
I have one of these and haven't used it yet (and don't want to get flamed for it) but I'm excited to use it.

http://www.synergymetalworking.com/BrewingEquipment_3.html
Wow,wish I'd seen that earlier... Anyone used it?

FWIW, I ordered one of these:
http://conical-fermenter.com/products/conical-fermenters/7-3-gal-conical-fermenter/

If it works out, I'll probably wind up getting at least one more.

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #29
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
That's a bunch of crap they're feeding you, you'll have a growing Co2 blanket what's the problem? Just don't wait too long to dump the trub or it'll become a thick mud.
For $375 for only a converted used keg not a scratch built purpose designed conical I find this way overpriced. JMO. I would rather add a cone to a spare 15.5 gallon keg myself. Granted I'll be out my labor, welding gas, time and the bottom cone cost be it a Toledo or another scratch build rolled cone like my last one I rolled 6 years ago at my friends fab shop for free. These are way too rich for my taste, maybe this works for a person without their own Tig, Mig, lathe or Bridgeport mill equipment. I'll pass besides they haven't yet made a 1/2 barrel net fermenter without adding some overpriced extension dome to a undersized fermenter calling it a higher gallon fermenter. Bling is how clean your empty wallet is with their fat wallets. Sorry i'm speaking my mind here.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #30
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
or put the fermenter where you want it to be and pump your wort to it.
My fermentation cooler is through 2 doors and around a corner from my brew room. I'd need to get near boiling wort into the conical.

I ordered a 7 gallon one to test. We'll see how that goes. I wasn't worried about moving a 14 gallon unit around - I can use casters - but lifting it 24 to 48". I don't want to rack at all after I boil: hot wort into conical, dump trub and yeast, then bottle/keg straight from the conical

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Tags
blichmann, conical, fermenter, morebeer

Quick Reply