*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Help choosing a SS conical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
bakins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help choosing a SS conical

So, I'm in the market for a conical -- 2 actually. I do 10 gallon batches, but I'd probably split it between 2 conicals so I could move them from brew area to cooler. I'd also want to bottle straight from them. I don't think I could pick up a full 14 gallon conical.

I'm looking at Blichmann , morebeer's new ones, and these: http://conical-fermenter.com/about/attachment/dsc03660/

I'm not 100% concerned about threads vs tri-clamp. I'll probably no-chill in them, so I'll be putting near boiling wort into them. I also will not transfer under pressure.

The chinese ones are pretty cheap and I talked to the guy and he can get 1" dump valves on the 7 gallon ones for about $10 more. I'm not a big fan of the lids, but I'm thinking I may could get a corny lid added. Of course, by the time I spend that much, I'm close to Blichmann money.

The morebeer ones are not cheap and have a 2-3 month lead time.

So, any advice?

(I've already decided I want some, so no need telling me they aren't worth it, just use carboys/buckets, etc.)

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you go with Morebeer there is a $100.00 off offer in this months BYO. Maybe that will help.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
If you go with Morebeer there is a $100.00 off offer in this months BYO. Maybe that will help.
Yeah, saw that as well. That's what prompted me to do the research

Old 02-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

As a home brewer I would go with the conical-fermenter product, unless of course money was no issue and then might as well spend on the higher priced stuff. Basically it's just a SS container with some fittings, as long as the welds are clean and your pouring in boiling hot wort then you should have no worries.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
MrH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're already looking at B3 or Blingmann money, IMO it's silly to even consider 7 gal over the 14's, since they're the SAME price! I can see it for the Chinese ones since there's such a difference in price, but not for the high end ones. I've read more than one thread here and elsewhere from people who bought 7 gallon conicals wishing they had gone larger. I don't use conicals now (I open primary and use corny's for conditioning), but I've been considering getting one of the new 14gal B3's. IMO the new B3 is the best conical out there now. I've also been waiting to see the improved conicals from Chi Company and how much they're going to cost. They look pretty sweet assuming the price is right, and Chi is a good place to do business with.

As for moving a larger fermenter, unless you have stairs, you can fit them with casters and wheel them around (this is what I will do if I get one.)

MrH

Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #6
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
If you're already looking at B3 or Blingmann money, IMO it's silly to even consider 7 gal over the 14's, since they're the SAME price! I can see it for the Chinese ones since there's such a difference in price, but not for the high end ones. I've read more than one thread here and elsewhere from people who bought 7 gallon conicals wishing they had gone larger. I don't use conicals now (I open primary and use corny's for conditioning), but I've been considering getting one of the new 14gal B3's. IMO the new B3 is the best conical out there now. I've also been waiting to see the improved conicals from Chi Company and how much they're going to cost. They look pretty sweet assuming the price is right, and Chi is a good place to do business with.

As for moving a larger fermenter, unless you have stairs, you can fit them with casters and wheel them around (this is what I will do if I get one.)

MrH
This is good news with Matt at CHI having testing done plus any modification requests working with the manufacture for Matt. At least one manufacture is listening to our requests.

bakins; I would sit tight until these new generation conicals become available and Matt comes up with a price allowing you a wider selection to pick from. What I don't understand is all these conicals go from 14.5 to 24 or 27 gallons range, why not a 19 to 20 gallon size for those wanting 15 gallons or 3 full corny's net?

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:

MrH
Not silly to go with the 7 gallon conical if you are only doing 5 gallon batches.
Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
If you're already looking at B3 or Blingmann money, IMO it's silly to even consider 7 gal over the 14's, since they're the SAME price!
I can't move a full 14gallon one,that why. And if I split a 10 gallon batch between 2 14 gallon ones,that just seems silly...

I want to no-chill in the conical,ferment, and then keg/bottle straight from it. At this point I'm leaning toward getting 2 of the Stout ones (aka,the chinese ones).

Old 02-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
bakins; I would sit tight until these new generation conicals become available and Matt comes up with a price allowing you a wider selection to pick from.
Got any more info on these? His site didn't seem to have much info other than "testing, more coming soon." Same with the threads on here.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a chinese one. works fine for me. I don't even take the valves off to clean it, just soak with oxyclean, then soak with iodaphor.

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Tags
blichmann, conical, fermenter, morebeer

Quick Reply