Help! Blichmann Conical is leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
So im using m Blichmann 14 gallon conical for the first time and im getting a weird seeping leak between the 90 elbow at the bottom and the threads of the bolt that go up into the bottom of the cone. Its not coming from the cone but it looks like it is seeping up between the top of the elbow and the bottom of the threads. I have pipe tape on there and I think I have it as tight as I can get it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If it is still during the 1st 24 hrs I would run it off in to a couple of carboys. Then check it out , tighten or re tape the joint and see if it will hold star-san.

Unfortunately its about 3 days in. I just noticed it today though. So im not sure when it started. When I first set it up and tested it with starsan it would do it a bit so I tightened and retaped and thought I fixed it but I guess not

That lower elbow and coupling need to be teflon-taped and assembled good and tight before attaching it to the conical. I gave mine a few good wraps of tape and assemble the elbow and fitting in a vise.

All of the fittings on the Blichmann conicals seal with o-rings. The 90 pipe-elbow seals with the fitting with a tapered face. The fitting then seals with the outside of the conical with the o-ring. No tape or sealant should be used. If a leak is occurring, it is because the o-ring is not sealing with the outside surface of the conical. This is the same on the bottom dump fitting and on the racking valve.

One thing to check before filling the conical is to make sure the o-ring is fully seated against the outside surface of the conical. If the fitting isn't tight enough, the o-ring will not seat, and leaks may occur.

"a weird seeping leak between the 90 elbow at the bottom and the threads of the bolt that go up into the bottom of the cone. Its not coming from the cone but it looks like it is seeping up between the top of the elbow and the bottom of the threads"

this is after the o-ring that goes against the conical and if its leaking from the threads going into the elbow the "weak point" is the connection between the threaded union and the 90 elbow where there is no o-ring, just thread-to-thread contact and should be teflon taped and tightned.

Back