HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Heater Element Thread Type

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
onlynormalguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heater Element Thread Type

I'm building a RIMS tube with a 1" heater element. My stainless end cap has a 1" NPT thread, but heater elements have "Straight Pipe Threads" I brought my end cap to a couple of big box stores and a plumbing distributor store, and tried to fit their elements in my end cap. I could never get more than 1 or 2 threads on to it before it jammed. I know many of you have had no problem with this, but I could not get a definitive answer as to why. Finally tried a friend's element from his tube. It slipped on perfectly even though it too had NPSM threads. Here's the link:

www.plumbingsupply.com/elements.html

Search for: 120-1500-ELD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

NPT means tapered threads....the threads get narrower as you go farther in. NPSM (straight pipe threads) have no taper, same width the whole way.

This means that NPSM will only thread a bit into NPT threads, until the NPT threads taper too small to allow the NPSM to go further. Most of us just use a lot of teflon pipe tape and it doesn't leak.

There seems to be some variation in how straight NPSM threads are, and how tapered NPT threads are, so some elements fit into some NPT bushings/caps better than others. It's a crapshoot.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
onlynormalguy
Recipes 

Yes, there is a variation, and the only way to be sure of a good fit is to try them out before purchasing.

Quick Reply