Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Heated-Direct Fire Mash Tun -- How to?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
luhrks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use a 3' length of silicon hose laid on top of the grainbed for my mash return. If it's sinking to the bottom through your grain bed, then you've probably got too thin a mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sounds like the hose length I used was way too short. I like the looks of the adjustable mash return arm I bought though. And, yes, I do run a pretty thin mash since I have quite a bit of room underneath the false bottom. It's not uncommon for me to get close to or over a 2:1 ratio. But I just lower the sparge volume and it has worked out fine. No ill effects and a slight bump in efficiency.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
krjoseph
Recipes 

Great info on the ToP controllers. I love my Top Tier Stand, want to automate it. I could build something, but the time, learning curve and doing it myself would be more "expensive" than just buying from Blichman. I've got one on my christmas list already, not sure I can swing two.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Bmcclure8
Recipes 

Is the tower of power from blichmann the only out of the box solution for a rims setup or are there others out there to compete with the ToP?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
cabron99
"Torcedor"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good stuff!!

Life is too short for cheap cigars

Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Mtn_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcclure8
First time poster, long time reader. Can’t thank all of you enough for the amazing information that has helped my brewing in just one year. I’ve taken the logical steps from extract to now about 10 all grain batches completed. I’m using a converted keg for the HLT and BK, one pump, and a 10 gallon igloo cooler for a MLT where I double batch sparge.

I’m trying to be methodical in evolving my system and not change to many variables so I can focus on process and making better beer and I'm making 10 gallons at a time. The igloo cooler is starting to feel too small and I want to move up to a 15 gallon (keg) heated mash tun. I don't want to tackle RIMS or HERMS yet as I feel it will change my process too much.

What are preferred ways to set up a heated MLT with a propane burner? Do you simply fire for 30 seconds and stir like mad if mash temp drops a degree or two? Do you recirculate within the MLT and if so how does that help?

I'm sure this trail has been blazed already by many and would love to hear your preferences and experiences. Thanks in advance for your input!
Here's my old set up. It's a March pump connected to an outflow ball valve, some ss nipples, a Blichmann brewmometer and a copper return system that created a whirlpool effect in the mash tun. By adjusting the burner and watching the brewmometer, I was able to maintain a stable mash temp, which I could check with the tun's brewmometer. Pretty cheap set up and the parts can be reused when you build your brewstand (like I did).
image-3100102488.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #17
Mtn_Brewer
Recipes 

Some close ups of the parts.

image-3834465651.jpg   image-2893638149.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Bmcclure8
Recipes 

Great pics. That's a great simple setup and a lot cheaper than a ToP. Where do you set the level of the copper 'T' return section in relation to the top of the mash water level inside the pot? I'm guessing just an inch below?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #19
Mtn_Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmcclure8
Great pics. That's a great simple setup and a lot cheaper than a ToP. Where do you set the level of the copper 'T' return section in relation to the top of the mash water level inside the pot? I'm guessing just an inch below?
Yeah, it is adjustable and I put it an inch or so under the surface. I wish I made the arms a little longer.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
Bmcclure8
Recipes 

Think I'll have to design something just like it. Thanks for sharing your setup.

Quick Reply