Have a Shirron Plate Chiller??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePT

Reaction score
I want to pole everybody that has a Shirron and see how many, if anyone, regrets not getting the Blichmann. I am 95% sure I am going to get the Shirron, I cant afford the Blichmann anyways, but just want to be more sure about the choice! Thanks everyone!

I have used one for about 3 years now and have enjoyed good success with it. I have not tried a Blichmann, so I do not have a basis for comparison.

During summer when the tap water temps climb, I add a copper coil in a bucket of circulating ice water to the chilling path to the fermenter to reach pitching temp. Otherwise it performs very well if your tap water is cold. Our batch size is 50-60 gal and can pump-out in 45 min.

Prior to use it is "baked" in the oven at 450 deg for an hour, then filled with sanitizer during brewing. Post use it is rinsed, oxyclean is circulated, rinsed, and dried in the oven at 350 for an hour before being stored.

These convenient quick connectors work well with the Shirron:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/quickconnector-1-2-barb.html

I had a shirron chiller and it worked great for the couple of years I had it. I stopped using it when I got a therminator from my wife as a gift. The Shirron is a good chiller but the therminator is just much faster.

I've got one. It's a nice paper weight now. Clogged 1 out of 3 brews, even though I backflushed, cooked in oven, etc. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I had a shirron chiller and it worked great for the couple of years I had it. I stopped using it when I got a therminator from my wife as a gift. The Shirron is a good chiller but the therminator is just much faster.

I've got Sawdusguys old Shirron. Used it for the first time Saturday. Recirculating wort back to the kettle for whirlpooling and I had pitching temperature in 15 minutes. If I would have pumped to the fermenter, I could have easily cooled in one pass. I'm lovin' it so far.

Got my Shirron (thanks Rebel HB, great price and really fast shipping!!!) and used it for the first time...WOW it is amazing, I brewed on Friday and I am still thinking about how amazing it is....I can't believe how long I used that dumb immersion chiller for, it took forever, used way to much water and still didn't get it cool enough. One pass through the plate chiller, gravity fed, and it was almost too cold!!! I absolutely love it and can't wait to brew again so I can use it again!!!!

Two Shirrons cost almost as much as one Therminator.
Use one Shirron in the Winter. Use two in the Summer with one having ice water recirculating through it.
No contest.

Back