Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Have not seen this wort chiller before

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
brew2live
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Have not seen this wort chiller before

Hey,
I have been brewing for about a year and I have been looking at chillers (getting tired of ice baths). I saw this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WORT-CHI...item19ceb29224 and wanted to know if anyone here has used one of these?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

BUMP!

I'm looking at the same one. I need to talk to someone who has tried it before I pull the trigger!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Haven't used one, but I would think it would be hard to stir wort around in that. True there's a lot of room between the pipes and that's good, but without stirring hot wort over the cold pipes, you'll still end up with cold wort next to the pipes and hot wort everywhere else. Just my 2¢.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

it would be perfect for my square pot.

if it will fit in a pot it will work, but shape has nothing to do with how well it will work.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
dbhokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If I was going to spend 60, (I'd prolly make it, but) I'd spend a tad more and get a counterflow plate chiller, around 80-100 for a 20-30 plate I think

Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I made my chiller in the ribcage style, which doesn't leave much room for stirring either. I just move it up and down a few times during the chill to stir things up, works great. I imagine this design would work pretty well too.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
I made my chiller in the ribcage style, which doesn't leave much room for stirring either. I just move it up and down a few times during the chill to stir things up, works great. I imagine this design would work pretty well too.
That would work well.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

It just makes sense to me. seems most coiled chillers have the problem of bunching up the coils which prevents wort from flowing to the inside of the coils which would decrease efficiency. This design allows every coil to contact hot wort by simply moving the chiller coil up and down a bit while cooling. I like the idea of 1/4" tubing as well to increase the water velocity which is necessary when using 50' of copper, otherwise the cooling water would already be the same temp as the wort after 15' of flow!

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's an over complicated mess in my opinion. If you want it to be a conversation piece sitting out by your brew gear, that's one thing. However, all immersion chilling operations benefit from a very deliberate flow of wort in the pot. That's why Jamil's whirlpool chilling thing gets so much attention. The next best thing is to put a paint stirring paddle on a drill and spin the wort while chilling. After that, the next best thing is to grab the chiller and bob it up and down the whole time (not for me). The latter is just about all you could do with that chiller due to how much blockage there is.

A helical coil shape is fine for ICs and separating out each coil by a 1/2" is fine for good flow. 1/4" OD tubing is really undersized because the ID is closer to 3/16. The claims about efficiency and water use would only apply to a comparison where the chiller is left sitting still and no stirring was taking place. He also doesn't list the length, but if it's $50, it's about $30 worth of tubing. I'd much rather spend the $70 on 50 feet of 1/2".

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's an over complicated mess in my opinion. If you want it to be a conversation piece sitting out by your brew gear, that's one thing. However, all immersion chilling operations benefit from a very deliberate flow of wort in the pot. That's why Jamil's whirlpool chilling thing gets so much attention. The next best thing is to put a paint stirring paddle on a drill and spin the wort while chilling. After that, the next best thing is to grab the chiller and bob it up and down the whole time (not for me). The latter is just about all you could do with that chiller due to how much blockage there is.

A helical coil shape is fine for ICs and separating out each coil by a 1/2" is fine for good flow. 1/4" OD tubing is really undersized because the ID is closer to 3/16. The claims about efficiency and water use would only apply to a comparison where the chiller is left sitting still and no stirring was taking place. He also doesn't list the length, but if it's $50, it's about $30 worth of tubing. I'd much rather spend the $70 on 50 feet of 1/2".

Just curious; how do you separate the coils on a hellical wort chiller? Seems like gravity will push them together unless you put spacers between the coils?

Quick Reply