Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Has anyone tried several refractometers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
rokfizix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Has anyone tried several refractometers

I have looked around here for info on the pros and cons of different refractometers. From what I have seen in most of the posts, people generally have only tried their refractometer and are happy with what ever it is. I am interested in people who have tried more than one. For example the Vee Gee regractometers seem to cost $100, MoreBeer sells one for $60, others have found ebay ones for $20. How does these line up against each other? What does one get when they spend more money?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Keithww
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mine was less than 20 on Homebrew Finds, it is always spot on. If I had two, one or both would always be wrong. Segal's Law

I'm not building Nuclear bombs, so if it calibrates well at 0 and then in a 5 or 10% solution then I'm happy. The other night I did a full test on every sample between my hydrometer and the refractometer, per the conversion table they were within 1%, good enough for me.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

I've had mine for many years, It's so old it doesn't have an auto correct feature, which I believe is just a metal base that acts as a heat sink. I've compared it to others at brew parties and they seem to all be in the same range. The only one to avoid are those that have a scale in SG. Get one that reads Brix. That way you can use it more accurately "post ferment" using a simple formula.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Quick Reply