The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Has any one bought a new fride for kegerator construction?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
AHammer16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Has any one bought a new fridge for kegerator construction?

I just had my basment flood and it got 19 inches up the walls. needles to say it got the keg fridge. my insurance company is paying for a new replacement fridge and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what fridge i should get. The origional one was bought from craigs list for 50 bucks. but now I have the opp to get one that is brand new, energy efficiant and doesn't smell like rotting tacos. any suggestions?

one chants out between two worlds
Fire - walk with me."

Last edited by AHammer16; 10-20-2006 at 11:55 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I'm looking at 10-14 cu ft frost-free units to replace mine. You might laugh, but I've have extremely good luck over the last 35 years (60 if you count my parents) with Sears products. If you have a Sears outlet nearby, you can get new units that have cosmetic damage to 35-50 cents on the dollar.

When I've narrowed things down, I'll probably take 4 empty cornies along to check.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Recently I was looking at freezerless refrigerators for conversion to a kegerator. It makes sense to use a freezerless one, since the freezer is wasted space anyway.

This freezerless refrigerator would probably accomodate 8 to 10 cornies. Since it has no freezer, all of the space is usable for cornies.

The interior dimensions are not given, but estimating from the exterior dimensions of 66 3/4 H x 30 W x 30.5 D, I am guessing that the interior is 58 or 59 inches high by 25 wide by 24 deep. Take out the shelves and bins and build a single sturdy shelf halfway up, and you can fit maybe three cornies and a C02 bottle on the bottom and five on the shelf. Or so it seems, but I haven't seen one in person.

Anyway, when I get around to building a kegerator, it'll probably be based on something like this freezerless unit. It's true that you could fit more cornies in a large size chest freezer, but those have a really big footprint. I'd rather have the smaller footprint vertical orientation, since floorspace is at a premium in my house.

BTW, like david_42, I've had great luck with Sears appliances over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from Sears, but they don't have a suitable freezerless unit like the one above. They actually have a couple of them, but I just don't like them.

Last edited by disaffected; 10-21-2006 at 06:12 AM.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Sears is still as good as anybody for appliances. Every major appliance in my house is a Kenmore.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make sure you check with your insurance company on requirements to process claims. Last homeowners claim we filed (lightning strike took out furnace, computers, tvs, garage door opener, etc), they cut us a check based on estimates of replacement value, but then we also had to turn in receipts to show that we actually bought suitible replacements and not just whatever we wanted to use the money for.

If they'll just cut a check and that's it, you're good to go, but if they want documentation on what you bought, you'll probably have to stick to a fridge that's similar to the destroyed one.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
AHammer16

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtman7
Make sure you check with your insurance company on requirements to process claims. Last homeowners claim we filed (lightning strike took out furnace, computers, tvs, garage door opener, etc), they cut us a check based on estimates of replacement value, but then we also had to turn in receipts to show that we actually bought suitible replacements and not just whatever we wanted to use the money for.

If they'll just cut a check and that's it, you're good to go, but if they want documentation on what you bought, you'll probably have to stick to a fridge that's similar to the destroyed one.
Yes that is how they operate. Depreciated value up front, them you must send recipts for the new purchases to get reimbursed.

I get a huge discount on GE products because my fiance works for Equity Residential. I just got new washer and dryer at close to 60% off MSRP! Therefore i can get a decent fridge at a huge discount, im just not sure what to get. When i look at all the models they sell it give me a headache. Such a huge range of prices all in the same size catagory of the fridges, which one to pick?

Fire - walk with me."

Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
AHammer16

Recipes 

Here is the one i got. Black 17.9 cub. foot freezer on top.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=04605129000

Now does any one have any ideas about decorating the outside of it? One of you had one w/ flames on it. Where would i get flame decals from? If I had any artistic talent i would paint it by hand, but I do not have any talent.

Fire - walk with me."

Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

www.edecals.com has a bunch of flame graphics. For about $20 you can get a single decal that would be about right for a fridge door.

Quick Reply